Monday, July 20, 2009

500 DAYS OF SUMMER

“500 DAYS OF SUMMER” (Joseph Gordon-Levitt & Zooey Deschanel)

I defy anyone to watch this film & not like it – If you don’t, I either feel sorry for you, or am envious that you’ve never experienced what Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s Tom goes thru after meeting the girl of his dreams (Zooey Deschanel’s ‘Summer’)
This is a very realistic romantic comedy that never falls into ‘chick flick’ realm. & the reason it succeeds is Gordon-Levitt; I’m going to say it, though I’m sure I’ll be castigated for doing so, but he deserves an Oscar nomination for his work in this non-Oscar type of movie. I’ve always liked Zooey, & she’s fine here – though I’m beginning to wonder how much range the little cutie has, other than those gorgeous blue eyes – but Joseph, outstanding in “The Look Out” & “Stop Loss” delivers an almost perfect performance – Why should it matter that it’s in a relatively light-hearted comedy?
He sold me, as many actors often do, without saying a word – Tom’s reaction to Summer placing her hand upon his near the end of the film is priceless. Being one who has ‘been there, done that’, I knew exactly what he was feeling & the reaction was executed to perfection – Give the guy a nomination & what the hell, since the Academy has screwed up the ceremony this year by allotting 10 best picture nominees, give the movie a nod as well – it is one of the best of its kind ever made.
Although ‘500 Days Of Summer’ is basically the story of Tom’s roller coaster love affair with Summer, the film adds several nice touches to elevate it above the norm.
It all starts on day 1, when Zooey’s Summer gets a job at the greeting card company where Tom works as a writer (The ‘Roses Are Red...’ card he writes while going thru a depressing time during their relationship is a guaranteed laugh out loud moment)
Normally, I would wince at the thought of the lead actor prancing down the street lip syncing to a Hall & Oates song, but by the time that scene pops up - you are so behind Tom & his quest for love, the ‘fantasy’ dance sequence actually becomes a highlight. It didn’t hurt that they used one of only a couple of H&O songs that I like (“You Make My Dreams”)
It was perfect – as is this film, I don’t think it ever hits a sour note – the relationship depicted here is as real as they get & that’s the attraction – If you can’t relate to this couple & find everything they do believable, you’re living on a different planet than I am.
Director Marc Webb uses the old bouncing back & forth in time routine, which I usually dislike, but it works here – Aided by the fact that they tell which of the 500 days they’re about to show you. Tom enters an elevator all smiles on day 149 – We are told that we are now skipping ahead to day 373 & the elevator doors open to show Tom in complete misery. Yeah, that’s what trying to make a relationship work will do to you. The problem Summer has with Tom is that she knows he absolutely adores her & you can sense that bothers her since she’ll never be able to live up to his expectations. Yet, at the same time, she obviously loves him as well – just not as much as he loves her.
Tom’s two best buddies add to the enjoyment providing lousy advice & less than sturdy shoulders to lean on. & once again, a great song selection is used to enhance a film – this one, however is a surprise as it’s a Nancy Sinatra song called “Sugar Town”. Zooey sings it at a company karaoke outing & I found myself bobbing my head to the breezy little melody. The lone low point in this film is with whatever song it is that Tom croaks out – I’m sure everyone under 40 will be laughing that I have no idea what the name of the song is or who ‘sings’ it, but it does help explain why I don’t listen to ‘new’ music anymore. Fortunately they don’t show him singing the entire number.
So now I have a rarity in my list of 5 favorite movies of the year – a romantic comedy sits at #4 (Behind ‘The Hangover” “Star Trek” & “Sunshine Cleaning”; just ahead of “State Of Play”)
A realistic romantic comedy – what will they think of next? Coming off the heels of having to sit thru garbage like ‘The Proposal’, this film was a refreshing breath of fresh air. & I also dare you not to leave the cinema with a smile on your face after viewing the final scene; the line, & the look are like everything else in this movie – perfect.

5 comments:

movie luva said...

I thought it was OK/good. I didn't think it was great. Zooey Deschanel is getting by on looks. Not that she is the only one in Hollywood. She seems the same in every movie she is in. I felt that had they cast a more apt comedic actress to go toe to toe with Jim Carrey, than Yes Man would have been better. She's bland to me. You are right about Levitt. I don't know if I'd go as far as an Oscar nomination though. It's only July. There is a lot of films yet to see. Maybe an Independent Spirit Award for sure.

Sometimes I felt the film was preening just a tad bit much for it's good. I also found some flaws in the script or storytelling. The youngster with all the right answer's I thought wasn't very believable. And there are holes that are left to Summer's character. I wanted to know more about her and what made her tick. She doesn't believe in true love. Well let me know why ? Why does she not fully can get herself to commit her heart fully to Tom ? Then after Tom, she goes and get's married to the first guy after him ???

Then there was the non linear, wink wink, do you get it moments that tries to be like Annie Hall, which I kept on thinking about through 500 Days. And the inner cutting of time I felt really bogged down the film's momentum.

These are small complaints though. It doesn't break into my top 5 either. Maybe 10, it had some real funny moments in it, but it's only July so that's not saying much.

By the way, one song Tom sings is Train In Vain by The Clash and another The Pixies Here Comes Your Man.

Lilithas said...

I haven't seen this movie yet, though after that review, I'm definitely going to soon. Really soon.

But for movie luva: I don't actually think Zooey is getting famous because of her looks. I don't think she's all that good-looking. She's not ugly, of course, but she's no Jessica Alba (or Angelina Jolie or whoever). The reason she might be the same in every movie is because that's just the sort of character she's always selected to play. For now.

movie luva said...

I can name a lot of movies where she could have stretched the character so that you would believe her more, but I'm tired now. Maybe tomorrow.

dbm said...

I thought it was good, but not as awesome as Terry made it out to be. And I'm also in the overrated Zooey school. She is pretty and has beautiful eyes, but she can appear somewhat stiff and emotionless a lot. I'll agree with movie luva that I also thought she was horribly miscast in Yes Man.
But the one thing going for her is that she is young. She should do some stage work, that forces you to be a better actor and you don't rely so much on how many takes you get to do it right, when you know you have to nail a certain emotion or feeling one time and that's it.
I also hope that Gordon-Levitt stays away from garbage like GI Joe and picks more meaningful roles. He did join the cast of the Chris Nolan/Leo DiCaprio flick Inception due next summer. That should be interesting.

Terry Reid said...

For once, I'M on the side of the critics & movie luva & dbm are on the outside! I'm not going to argue with you on Zooey - your criticisms are valid; she definitely needs to show some variety in her persona. But 'Yes Man' didn't have a lot going for it in the first place - to say that it would have been better without her isn't saying much - so it goes from a C- to a 'C' ?
I was able to overlook the little girl who knew 'everything' about romance because I liked the rest of the film so much, but movie luva is correct in that character isn't believable & the film does have that one flaw that I forgot to point out in my review.
But there are no holes in Summer, if you'll pardon the expression, because believe me, movie luva, I have known women who are EXACTLY like her. You ask WHY does she not believe in true love?/ WHY does she not commit fully to Tom? / WHY does she marry the first guy that comes along after him?
In my youth, I found myself asking these same questions in REAL life. YOU may be a mature, well 'grounded' female, but you've never been in Tom's shoes, so that's probably the reason why you couldn't relate - but trust me, Summer IS believable. I didn't write 'Been there, done that' in my review because I thought it was a humorous addition.
As far as being like Annie Hall - well, I hated Annie Hall & I love
'500 Days', so obviously I didn't make that connection.
Thanks for letting me know that the Pixies suck (I already knew that The Clash did)