Wednesday, July 15, 2009

PUBLIC ENEMIES

“PUBLIC ENEMIES” (Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, Marion Cotillard & Billy Crudup)

In the early 1960’s, when I was a kid, there was a plastic toy machine gun that would make a ‘rat-a-tat’ noise when the trigger was pressed; as an added attraction, a light would flash from inside the plastic mechanism to indicate bullets being expelled.
Director Michael Mann must have gone out & bought a sh*tload of these toy guns – modified them so the light shot out from the barrel & then said, “Okay, let’s make a movie about bank robbers!”
There’s very little that I liked about ‘Public Enemies’ & I blame Mann completely. I disliked it right from the beginning as he seemed to have hired the same guys that shoot the ‘Girls Gone Wild’ videos for cameramen. There is a ‘cheapness’ to the production that spoils the fine performances of Depp & Cotillard as John Dillinger & his lady, Billie.
All I can figure is that Mr. Mann must have signed a merchandising deal with Burger King, so his ‘cheesy’ production values could tie-in with a ‘cheesy’-burger value meal.

Then there’s the costume problem; the film is set in ‘depression-era’ Chicago, yet EVERYONE is wearing pristine suits & hats – even the extras in the banks are smartly dressed, as though this was a very affluent time in America & everyone had plenty of money to spend on expensive suits & dresses. No ‘Brother Can You Spare A Dime?’ bums existed on the streets of Chicago according to Michael Mann – the streets were void of any litter; the cars were all mint condition sedans that never showed so much as a speck of dirt – riddled with bullet holes, but clean as a whistle.
So the camera work was cheap, but everything else was too polished. & trust me, if I notice those things, they are poorly done - annoy me with ‘reality show’ camera shots, make me notice what characters are wearing & you’ve done it all wrong.

I’ve heard nothing but criticism of Christian Bale’s performance - & though, I’m not saying it isn’t warranted, he isn’t ‘awful’. I’d say his character is fairly bland; Melvin Purvis is introduced by showing him gun down Pretty Boy Floyd (Channing Tatum in what is clearly his best acting to date) Purvis shows no emotion as he ‘takes out’ the mobster by shooting him in the back. So why should he exhibit ANY emotion for the rest of the film? He reminded me of Jack Webb’s Sgt. Joe Friday; “Just doing my job, ma’am, that’s why I wear a badge.”
No, Christian isn’t the one to be criticized here, it’s Mann. Billy Crudup doesn’t exude much character as J. Edgar Hoover & yet, I don’t hear any complaints about his lackluster performance. But Bale screamed at a production assistant, so now he’s a crappy actor. True, he seems to have peaked with “3:10 To Yuma” & is on a downward slope, but this film is of such poor quality, you can’t fault Bale for that.

SPOILER ALERT! If you’re unaware of Dillinger’s fate in this story don’t read on... Well, if you’re unaware of how John Dillinger died, you probably don’t read much, so never mind... I only bring up the film’s finale because it struck me as ‘laughable’ – compared to the ‘harrowing’ murder scene in “Milk” where I felt sick to my stomach at how realistic that death sequence was filmed, Public Enemies’ climax was just as cheesy as the rest of the film. A big fat cop walking thru a crowded street with his gun arm extended, taking aim at someone who appears to be just another pedestrian & NO ONE in the crowd screams or panics in any way... They do look nice in their pristine suits & fancy cocktail dresses though.

The good parts are provided by Depp & Cotillard; he hasn’t impressed me in YEARS & she is new to me – her Oscar winning performance isn’t the type of film I’d enjoy. But they both shine in this otherwise cheesy flick. Depp has the best lines; Reporter:”Johnny, you have police departments in fourteen states out looking for you, what does that mean to you?” Dillinger:”I’m popular?”
The best scene was made up, so it reduces the ‘realism’ of the entire film, as I’m certain that the real John Dillinger never walked into the Chicago Police Department’s ‘Dillinger Squad’ offices & asked the detectives to tell him the score of the Cubs game.”
Fellow viewer, famed movie director Alan Smithee commented afterward, “I imagine 15-to-16 year old boys will be entertained by it.”
But as I thought about who might enjoy this film, I leaned more toward 90-100 year olds who were alive in the 1930’s... I’m sure even in senility, they’d be thinking to themselves, “I don’t remember everything being so clean & pristine back in those days...”

6 comments:

movie luva said...

Good eye for detail ! I didn't even think of those aspects to the film, but come to think of it, you are right. Even the regular citizens looked OK off. Dillinger and his gang though had lots of money.

I diagree on the camera work. I thought that was one of the better aspects of the film, as well as the art direction, and period detail.

I gave Enemies 2.5 stars. Nothing great but I didn't think it was a bad film. Marion Cotillard stole every scene she was in. It always felt like something was missing when she wasn't on screen.

I did see one movie I had no idea I would have been impressed by and that was The Hurt Locker. My brother and his friend talked me into seeing it. War films ( especially Iraq ones ) aren't really my cup of tea, but this was very well made. Extremely realistic, and the actors really made you believe they were who they were. It made me think of just how crazy that would be your only job of the day, everyday, defusing land mines and whatnot. I couldn't recommend it more. It doesn't push the proverbial political buttons down your throat either. It gave me even more respect for these soldiers because these EOD people are hardly ever spoken of.

As for Christian Bale, he is a stiff in PE. And I didn't think he would become a bad actor because he made an ass out of himself screaming at the cinematographer on Terminator either. He's just blasse in PE. I actually thought that Stephen Graham who played Shang in GONY, did well for the little he had as Babby Face Nelson too.

Kurt said...

I think what you are not a fan of shooting scenes with a hand held. I am not so keen on it either. You can have for a scene or two, just not a whole movie. The cinematographer is usually very good. One of the best in the business. Dante Spinotti was Oscar nominated for The Insider and LA Confindential. Also lensed Heat, which had a awesome shootout scene, and Last Of The Mochicans. I just hope Mann has decided to change this way of shooting. Like he's trying to copy Tony Scott ( he should abandon the hh too )

I gfelt the movie underwhewlmed with all that was involved. Not a horrible movie, just could have been a lot better. I thought some of the people that showed well with what little time that they had onscreen was Stephen Graham and the actress that played the lady sheriff who's name is escaping me.

I also concur with ML on The Hurt Locker. So far the best film I have seen in 2009 in my opinion.

Terry Reid said...

So we agree on some aspects of why 'Public Enemies' stunk & disagree on others - as it should be. I must disagree with your praise of Stephen Graham (We all watch things differently) I thought he was a total ham - over the top to the point of being unbelievable in the role. To be blunt - he added to the 'cheesy' quality of the entire film as far as I was concerned.
I wasn't addressing any of my regulars when I said Christian Bale is now considered to be a bad actor merely for throwing a temper tantrum, I meant that for the 'media' as a whole, & the way the media will now portray him to the world. Again, I felt his character was supposed to be 'stiff', but I won't argue with the word 'blasse' to describe his performance. Famed Hollywood Director Alan Smithee said he couldn't get a read on what Purvis was thinking as he walked away from Dillinger's body lying on the sidewalk - Was he pissed off that his men didn't wait until the crowd had thinned out, or was he upset because underneath it all he kind of admire 'Johnny' & was sorry to see his life snuffed out due to his orders.
I would say more scenes involving Purvis's thought processes would have made for a better film - especially when you discover that the man eventually committed suicide - but the one thing this film needed was a different director who would have rectified that & hired professional cameramen.

Dan said...

I thought Public Enemies was a decent to good action/crime movie. I definitely wasn't bored. You make good points that they could have showm more down and out people, but I'm thinking people in a bank probably have money, so they are better off than others and Dillinger was a bank robber. Also their cars were always stolen and new, that's why you see them in such prestine condition. He and his men ( and ladies too ) were also very well dressed to the nines. That was all part of it. If you are going to rob banks and have all this money on you, you better dress well and look good doing it.

I'm from the same analogy about the hand held cameras too. It's too much to use them for an entire movie, and I don't remember any Spinotti lensed film that had that kind of camera work. Sure it's the cinematographer in charge of shooting a scene and in charge of the camera work but he also has to take direction from the director how he would like the shot to be seen to an audience. Like KB wrote, Spinotti did Heat. Mochicans ( awesome scenery and camera work on that ) LA Confidential and The Insider. Lets hope this was a first and last attempt with the hand held by him. He has been in the biz long enough to what what good lensing is.

And I guess I'll be a third person chiming in on The Hurt Locker. Impressive movie. Why in so little theater's and the film has been getting positive word of mouth for about a month now. Some are even predicitng an Oscar nod for the movie and Katheryn Bigelow's direction.

Alan Smithee said...

I found this film an enjoyable "popcorn movie." It was no "Untouchables" or "Bonnie and Clyde," to be sure. It was not even "Bugsy."

Director Mann and his fellow script-writers did not give Christian Bale much and Bale made the least of what he was given. Mann had to choose but appears to have split the difference between the stereotypic "man versus man" framing and the stereotypic "biopic" framing.

"Man versus man" framing would require fleshing out Purvis. Purvis shot himself, but we do not know whether it was accidental. I suspect Mann was unable to commit EITHER to "troubled Purvis" OR to "untroubled Purvis" and so did neither.

"Biopic" framing would focus on one fellow and make most everyone else part of the protagonist's scene. I do not much care for that strategy.

I'd have preferred that Mann choose to expand a minor theme: screw-ups and psychotics. I dislike most "biopics" about gangsters because they lionize gangsters who were all or almost all wastes of cytoplasm who had a grubby, solitary, nasty life before their gruesome deaths. [That is, biopics mischaracterize conditions even more than this movie did.] Mann shows some such among Dillinger's associates. Purvis and the FBI are also shown to be screw-ups. "Little Bohemia" looked like something offered by the Bush Administration [Karl Rove would have called it urban renewal]. But Purvis may not have killed Pretty Boy Floyd yet may have taken credit for that. So why not show that the incipient FBI and the transient Dillinger Gang consisted largely of incompetents with too much fire power?

Mann makes J. Edgar Hoover about as ridiculous as he was; make Dillinger and Purvis ridiculous, too. Mann renders "Baby Face" Nelson as a psychotic; note that few other screws were loose in the 1930's, too.

Johnny Depp could still spout his life philosophy. The film would belie it. Hoover and Purvis could tout the FBI. The film would show that they were blathering.

I am unsure that anyone would have liked the film I sketch above, but such a film would choose. Mann did not choose.

I agree with Terry on the bum-less streets and resplendent dress. Dillinger's high-flying should have been in stark contrast to scraping by.

Depp and Cotillard do well. The rest is acceptable.

**********************

The actress playing the sheriff was Lili Taylor, whom I first saw and liked in "Mystic PIzza" and "Say Anything."

Terry Reid said...

I remember Lili Taylor from the more recent 'Starting Out In The Evening' playing Frank Langells'a daughter - where she also looked like she could be Linda Hunt's daughter...
'The Hurt Locker' is expanding next week, so word of mouth is spreading...
WHile reading everyone's comments, it dawned on me - why am I complaining about the lack of poverty depicted in this 1930's film - NOTHING about this movie was realistic! From the flame throwing machine guns to the dumb cop/dumber cop portrait painted of the Chicago PD. As Bernie Taupin once wrote; "Dillinger's dead - I guess the cops have won again."