Thursday, August 13, 2009

TERMINATOR SALVATION

“TERMINATOR SALVATION” (Christian Bale & Sam Worthington)

This was my first Terminator movie & I’m pretty sure it will be my last since the worst part of this film were the nonsensical time traveling references to the previous films, plus I was under the impression that this would be an ‘actors’ Terminator in that The Governator would not appear; & though technically speaking Arnuld doesn’t have a cameo, his ‘image’ does, which helped crippled an already shaky plot.

Christian Bale brought a level of intelligence to the Batman franchise but he couldn’t do anything to elevate the I. Q. of this ‘disaster' flick. & that’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy the movie on some levels, the basic idea of a being that used to be human & doesn’t know that he’s been rebuilt as a robot/human hybrid was an interesting one – the fact that they inserted John Conner & his teenaged father into the plot turned it into a befuddling muddled puddle which made little to no sense.

Sam Worthington plays Marcus, the human who is sentenced to death in 2003 & donates his body to science before the sentence is carried out. He then finds himself alive in 2018 in a world where robots have taken over the planet & are hunting down & either killing or enslaving human refugees. Until he is damaged while trying to save John Conner’s father, Kyle Reese, Marcus appears to be a normal human being. Marcus also meets & saves the life of one of Conner’s ‘men’ Blair, a hot Asian girl (Moon Bloodgood – That’s the name she gave) So when Conner tries to kill Marcus despite the fact the newcomer has done nothing but help his cause – as well as keep him alive by saving his future father, it doesn’t make sense! (I seem to be quoting the late Johnny Cochran quite a bit lately) Which brings me to another confusing moment - & since this film has been out for a while I’m sure everyone who wants to see it, has, but without spoiling anything for those who may be waiting for the DVD to come out – I’ll just point out that at the end of the movie, Marcus’s ‘grand gesture’ doesn’t make sense either - the sacrifice he makes wasn't necessary. See, this is what happens when you start a franchise that relies on time travel in EVERY episode – things get bogged down in nonsense. Time travel is a nifty little gimmick to use once, maybe twice, but when you let it become a ‘regular’ part of your franchise’s existence; you’ve turned an impossible circumstance to begin with into a mockery of itself. Traveling backward in time is impossible – You can’t recreate that which has already happened, so any storyline using that plot twist is a complete fantasy. In order to make Terminator’s ‘fantasy’ future world more believable they needed to stop relying on the time traveling gimmick. 2018 isn’t that far away (Is 2018 the new 1984?) The world that was depicted in Terminator Salvation was too much in ruin to be believable as well. I complain about all of this because I did like the idea of ‘Marcus’; a man that doesn’t realize he’s been Steve Austin’d. & this would have been a decent film if it WASN’T terminator’d.

The acting here was fine, despite the convoluted plot. Anton Yelchin (The new ‘Chekov’) wasn’t very believable as Kyle Reese only because I couldn’t picture him as Christian Bale’s father no matter how far I tried to stretch my imagination! Worthington & Bale almost made it worth seeing – those who think Worthington ‘out-acted’ Bale are as confused as this franchise – Sam had the better role & did a fantastic job with it, but Christian, who didn’t have much to do other than shoot at a green screen, shined in his rare opportunities to actually ‘act’ - I especially liked the scene where John asks Marcus “You think you’re human?”
& finally, a big surprise to me was Bryce Dallas Howard (Opie Cunningham’s little girl) Not that she could act, she’s proven to be a capable actress in the past, but that she actually looks kind of hot in some scenes... Oh, & the Asian chick with the weird name reminds me of another complaint I have; The ‘head’ computer that controls the robots appears to Marcus as the doctor (Helena Bonham Carter) that asked him to sign over his body to science after his death because ‘it’ wanted to appear as someone he’d feel ‘comfortable with – ‘It’ then changes into John Conner, Kyle Reese & then back to the doctor again... why wouldn’t it appear to him as Blair, the Asian girl that he adored? The time traveling aspect made this film confusing enough, but that one was a no-brainer...

5 comments:

dbm said...

This was OK as an action flick goes. I think Sam Worthington has what it takes. He's going to be in Avatar as well. Definitely Bale's least good performace. Not bad but he has been so much better. I can watch American Psycho anytime.

Bryce did look hot. I wonder if she's keeps it red down there. You know what they say about red headed women. Supposed to be wild in the sack. I wouldn't know. Never had one. You T ?

movie luva said...

" What in the f*ck are you doin' ? What don't you f*cking understand man ?!

" F*ck's sake man, you're amateur ! I'm trying to do a scene with Bryce here, and I'm like, why in the f*ck is Shane walking around back there ? The number of times I see you just strolling around when we're tryng to do a scene...like here I am... la,la,la... Do you want me to trash your lights...well do ya ?! Then why are you trashin' my scene !?! "

" You're a nice guy...you're a nice guy, but that doesn't cut it when you are f*ckin' 'round on set ! I have never had a DP behave this way. Wha...?? I'm gonna kick your f*ckin' ass !! No I'm not gonna go walkin'...he's the one that needs to start walkin' ! YOU might get it. HE doesn't get it !!
You and me are done professionally... "

I think that was way more entertaining than the actual movie.
Whenever I need a good chuckle I play that freak out. Sounds like a silver spoon fed little brat in that tantrum.

Sam said...

Love that rant- George Stevens and I joke about it all of the time, that Rock Hudson had a similiar blow up on the set of Giant. And yes it's better than the movie. And we up here would like to have Hollywood to stop trying to make actors out of rappers for once and all.

Terry Reid said...

Geez, movie luva, you scared the sh*t out of me! I thought you were responding to dbm's crass comment about the drapes matching the carpet!
I had never heard nor read Bale's rant which you recreated. I will be honest enough to say that I blew up in similar fashion a couple of times during my 18 years at KJR radio - but never at a co-worker, always at equipment. At my current job, I was bitten last week by a boxer named Danji (No, not a Mike Tyson wanna-be, a canine) & I exploded into a filthy word filled diatribe because I was tired & pissed off. I do it all the time while driving - If someone had a camera in my car & taped every time I went off on some jackass that didn't obey the rules, I'D be labeled one of the world's biggest jerks - even though I was the victim of an actual jerk. So I don't begrudge Christian for this rant - In fact, if that's an exact replica of it, he sounds like he's got a valid complaint. "You're a nice guy but that doesn't cut it when you're bleeping around on set"... Heck, that sounds pretty f*ckin' friendly compared to some of my blow ups; I've never said, "Hey, I'm sure you're a nice guy when you're not in your car, but don't you know that you're supposed to STOP at STOP signs?" & trust me, I am not a silver spoon fed little brat.
Rappers turning into actors - Why not? If it gets them to stop rapping, I'm all for it! Let's hope Will Smith has retired for good & I actually liked Chris Bridges in "Crash". Other than those 2 I'm not certain which current 'actors' are also in the rapping profession. Why didn't you speak out against former wrasslers becoming actors - they're not raising the bar of excellence either.
& I think Bale was worse in 'Public Enemies' - maybe dbm didn't think he lived up to the character he was playing, whereas I'd never seen anyone else play John Conner, so I thought he was fine in the role.
Now, I used to write my reviews with a sexists' twist when they were on Groz's web page because I was writing for a Sportsminded crowd, but now I'd like to avoid the 'which color of haired women are the wildest in the sack' discussion... Unless Movie Luva says it's okay.

dbm said...

There are a ton of rappers now in the movies. You don't even have to know they are rappers, just the name gives it away. Something like TI or Common. Etc.
And as for " wrassler's " acting, at least they were in a profession where it was pretending, just like acting is.
I didn't think Bale was bad just not his best work is all.