Friday, July 25, 2008

MAMMA MIA !

“MAMMA MIA!” (Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Amanda Seyfried, Colin Firth, Julie Walters, Christine Baranski, Stellan Skarsgard & A Whole Lot Of Extras That Can’t Sing Either)
Father, forgive me for I have sinned.... I went to see the Abba movie... Before you sentence me, however there is something else I must confessed... I kinda liked Abba...
No, Father, I’m not gay; the only reason I went to the movie was because my wife had her heart set on seeing it, I was being a good husband –something I’m not adept at either... So should I go wash my ears out with holy water? What’s that? Why did I like Abba? Well, they came along in the late 70’s – You know, when disco ruled the music scene – so compared to that noise, they weren’t half bad – awfully tuneful those little Swedes. Plus, you know the blonde was a cutie-pie – had a nice set of vocal chords on her as well... Yes, I wished they had used her voice to overdub Meryl Streep’s warbling, but what can you do? If we’re done here, can I get on with my review?
Thanks Father, & a hearty ‘remember Huard’s Hail Mary’ to you, too...
If you can stomach actors who can’t sing &, like me, you didn’t find Abba’s catchy little tunes all that annoying because Agnetha Faltskog was so darn cute, then you’ll probably enjoy “Mamma Mia!” My wife sure did.
Here’s the deal; they took a bunch of Abba songs & fit them to a storyline... Well, that’s what they tried to do – it doesn’t always work! The story is strictly chick flick material –
Donna (Streep) had sex with 3 different men in the same month years ago & they all left the Greek Island she lived on, so she never knew which one impregnated her.
Now age 20, her daughter, Sophie (Seyfried – the only member of the cast that can ‘almost’ carry a tune) is getting married. After reading about her 3 possible fathers in her mother’s diary, she invites all 3 men to her wedding. Sam (Brosnan) Harry (Firth) & Bill (Skarsgard) arrive together on Bill’s boat (As fate would have it)
From there fun, frivolity & mayhem ensue in the form of characters breaking out into Abba tunes. Fortunately, some of the songs are edited so they fit the story. Unfortunately, “The Winner Takes It All” wasn’t one of them... The low-lite for me was the ‘butchering’ of this nice semi-heartbreaking song by the lead actress. What makes it sink even lower is the fact that it doesn’t have a place in the movie, so it not only sounds bad, it looks stupid & doesn’t make sense. Speaking of looks though, & I’m not one to notice this type of thing, but this is a very picturesque film – Quite colorful & beautiful scenery, for those of you who do enjoy that sort of thing.
The odd highlight (for me) was “Dancing Queen”, one of those catchy melodies that I did find annoying back in the late 70’s that works here as a joyful singalong involving the entire island.
It was one of the rare instances where the actors seem to have fun while doing something they weren’t comfortable with (Singing)
The cast is fine acting-wise, Julie Walters has always been a favorite of mine since “Educating Rita” many years ago & I found her character the most enjoyable here. There were a couple of uncomfortable scenes; one involving Christine Baranski & a poor young Jamaican-looking actor who had to pretend to have the hots for her; & another involving Colin Firth removing his shirt to impress his new found love...
Perhaps it was the ‘expectation factor’ weighing in – I went into this thinking I would loathe it, by the mere fact that it was the lowest form of movie making – the (ugh) ‘Musical’. But I only cringed a few times & thankfully on a lot of the songs the ‘chorus’
would become louder as the tune progressed, drowning out the actor or actress who couldn’t sing a lick...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am new to your blog. I will have to go through your archive and check other reviews out too.
Kurt Bain told me about your site. I have known him for almost ten years. He has a blog too. That's how I found yours, from him.
I, for one hand, like musicals as I'm a failed soprano. That was a dream once. I knew about Mamma Mia from the stage play.
I too thought the actors could have sang better. The reviews made it out to be they were. I'm a hard critic to please when it comes to musicals. I actually thought Johnny Depp did a pretty good job in Sweeney Todd.
So, now that you saw Mamma Mia, clearly you'll have to check out the movie adaptation of Nine next year. I have actually seen the play on stage when Antonio Banderas played Guido Contini. Now 2 time Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis has been casted in the role. I must say bold choice, since he hasn't sang before on screen or stage. But the female cast is very impressive. It will be fun to see Sophia Loren back on film. And how can you fend off the curiosity in seeing Day-Lewis sing ? In Time magazine, it said that the director recieved a tape of Day-Lewis singing and he was knocked out by it. I'm looking forward to it.
I thought that Mamma Mia was a very enjoyable film and that everyone was good in their parts, even though Colin Firth is way younger than Meryl. What- did she sleep with him when he was 16 ? That was the only thing I had a problem with. They should have casted someone older in the part. Looking forward to checking other movies out you have reviewed. By the way in case you are wondering, my favorite movies of 07 were There Will Be Blood, Sweeney Todd, Juno, Atonement and Before The Devil Knows You're Dead.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that you went and saw this. I was one out 11 men in my theater. Yes, I counted. But I must admit, I didn't mind it. As you can tell my co-worker chimed in. She is a singer and loves musicals. And she told my wife to make me go see Mamma Mia. I really didn't think I would like it at all because the trailer looked silly. But I guess I don't hate musicals as much as I thought I did. I really didn't mind Sweeney Todd either. And as Amy had lamented, I too am in curiosity to see Day-Lewis in a musical as well. One thing you can't count out is the bevy of beauties he will be co-starring with. Definitely will be interesting.
After seeing it, Mamma Mia makes you want to take a vacation doesn't it. Break out the sunscreen, lay on a remote beach far away and have a nice beverage.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to both Movieluva & Kurt for both responding to, & not making me feel gay for seeing 'Mamma Mia'!
First, Kurt's blog is oscartracker.blogspot.com
He's keeping track of all the potential Oscar contending films & major categories - check it out - After he lets you know what's coming up, then come back & see how much I 'crank' on his predictions after they come out!
But I hate musicals! The only ones I've been able to stomach are this one & "Across The Universe"; probably because I knew all of the songs going in - I actually thought the way the tunes were woven into a story was somewhat clever(With some exceptions, of course!) But a musical, such as
'Chicago' - I would never see (Even for free) & "Sweeney Todd" is not unfamiliar to me, I saw a stage version of it on PBS many years ago & hated it. I hope Daniel D-L knows what he's doing because nothing is more embarrassing than watching a good actor 'attempt' a singing role in a crappy musical (I harken back to Jack Nicholson's revolting turn in "Tommy" - a musical I was very familiar with that didn't work at all with 'singing' actors - Even Roger Daltrey's vocals sounded 'plastic' in that piece of junk!)
Kurt - you're ending comment about taking a vacation is exactly what I meant when I said I actually 'noticed' the scenery in a movie - If nothing else 'Mamma
Mia' makes you feel like you're on a Greek vacation... with a lot of really annoying karaoke singers!
& Movieluva - I'm sure you'll have a bone or two to pick with me when you read my reviews of 'Juno' & 'Atonement' (One was just vastly over-rated, the other 'stunk')
But you'll discover we agree on "Before The Devil Knows..."
Should have been nominated for Best Film & didn't get a single nomination last year!
Thanks for writing in & sharing your views.

Anonymous said...

wife dragged me to it. it was ok. nothing special. not a big abba fan either. that would help right.
ddl in a musical. i don't think the perfectionist that ddl is and his renowed preperation would take on a role if he couldn't do it 110%remember, he is famous for turning down some plum roles. so i don't have any reservation. definitely a very good female cast. who knows maybe the guy has always been able to sing.

Lilithas said...

I have to disagree with your opinion of Seyfried - I actually thought her voice was amazing. Meryl Streep was tolerable. The only one that made me want to rip my ears off was Pierce Brosnan. Who told that guy he could star in a musical?

Terry R said...

Lilithas... Do you watch 'American Idol'? Be honest, now... I said Amy was clearly the best singer in the cast, but 'amazing'? Let's not get carried away - compared to Pierce, okay, she WAS amazing, but who wouldn't sound amazing after hearing Pierce warbling his way thru 'SOS'?

Lilithas said...

Ever considered movie reviewing full time, Terry? I think you'd be pretty good at it. I never get through a review or a comment of yours without a laugh.

And I believe magazines actually pay for the movie tickets if you become a critic.

Terry R said...

Thank you, Lilithas, that is the biggest compliment I can receive - My goal with this blog is to hopefully write something that entertains the reader.
My 'dream' job would be writing novels. Since I'm not having much luck finding an agent, I use these reviews to keep in practice. Though it would be nice if someone in the position to hire me to write reviews would stumble upon my blog, I'm not counting on that happening.
Thanks again for the compliment & leaving your comments, they are greatly appreciated.