Monday, July 21, 2008

The DARK KNIGHT

“The DARK KNIGHT” (Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Gary Oldman, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Michael Caine & Morgan Freeman)

I’m not saying this just to be different; I’m not going against the grain just to instigate comments from readers telling me what an idiot I am; As always with my reviews, I give a common smart-ass’s honest opinion of what I saw... & what I saw during “The Dark Knight” was not the best comic book movie ever, but one helluva performance by the late Heath Ledger in an excellent film that runs out of gas with an implausible finale... No, I’m not trying to say a world that contains a ‘batman’ & a ‘joker’ is plausible to begin with, but within the texture that the film creates, how one of the main characters changes so drastically is somewhat far-fetched. A hero doesn’t become a villain overnight.
Comparisons to “No Country For Old Men” came to my mind frequently & in the diabolical villain sweepstakes, I’d say Heath Ledger’s Joker stacks up well against Javier Bardem’s Anton Chigurh. Heath’s character is obviously more cartoonish; the best lines in the film all come spewing forth from his horribly disfigured lips. Whereas Chigurh was scarier because he was more realistic, The Joker ‘commands’ your attention.
In fact, that’s one of the reasons the film doesn’t hold up all that well, because when Ledger isn’t onscreen, you’re begging for his return - & the sooner the better. When he is onscreen, you’re fascinated by everything about him – the way he looks, the way he sounds & that all encompassing, ‘What is this spiteful lunatic going to do next?’
By having one of the main characters constantly flipping a coin to make decisions, they bring back that incredibly intense scene from ‘No Country’, so that The Dark Knight’s coin flipping scenes seem ‘weak’ & insignificant.
Christian Bale (Batman/Bruce Wayne) has a much reduced role in the sequel, spending more time in the ‘suit’ than he does as the millionaire. I always found it odd that Gary Oldman was slated to play bland police commissioner Gordon, as Oldman would have been cast as one of the maniacal Batman villains in the past. New to the crew are Aaron Eckhart as politician Harvey Dent & Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel Dawes, a possible love interest for both Batman & Dent... Problem is, as much as I love Maggie as an actress, she isn’t a great beauty by any stretch, but she is presented here as though she were the most glamorous female in all of Gotham as two ruggedly handsome, well-to-do, powerful men vie for her attention. Maggie has a ‘cuteness’ quality to her, but she is not a great beauty... Two of the all-time great actors, Morgan Freeman & Michael Caine return in thankless, throwaway roles (Though Caine’s butler, Alfred gets to ‘act’ a little, Morgan’s involvement this time around is nearly invisible)
I’ll start with what works, & that’s two words – Heath. Ledger. Everything you’ve heard regarding his performance is true. At one point I actually took a moment to study his face during a close up & couldn’t believe that was the same guy who... pleasured Jake Gyllenhaal in that tent in Wyoming. Ledger’s Joker is a maniacal masterpiece of villainy; he schemes against other villains, he flaunts his self loathing of their simplistic plots by both outwitting them & showing absolutely no fear of death. He dares the Gotham City mob bosses to kill him. When a multitude of ‘fake’ Batmen appear in the streets & on the news, The Joker finds something new to loathe – ‘The Bat Men’ & decides to make it his ‘quest’ to force the real Batman to reveal his identity to the world. & he does so with a despicable ‘panache’. The Joker’s set ups to make the Bat Man chose who will live & who will die are ingenious (& of course aided by the fact that even though he kills of most of his henchmen in the first 15 minutes of the film, there are still plenty of recruits available to help him with his intricate plans to blow up hospitals, ferries & anything else that ‘annoys’ him)
What doesn’t work is the fact that there are scenes that don’t involve Heath Ledger... & they are, for the most part, boring. Boring in that, I wanted to know what The Joker was up to, not Harvey Dent’s involvement with Rachel Dawes!
What doesn’t work is hack actor Eric Roberts as a mob boss. What does work is what The Bat Man does to get him to talk! (The one enjoyable scene that didn’t involved Heath)
What doesn’t work is the character Harvey Dent; he is the crime fighting leader Bruce Wayne has been hoping for to lighten his load as Gotham’s one true crime fighter. Even though his hopeful girlfriend is falling for Harvey, Bruce still backs the guy with a fundraiser to help his campaign. I won’t spoil anything by revealing what happens to Harvey (Though who are we kidding – it seems like everyone on the planet went to see this movie!) But for the handful of you who haven’t – My complaint about Harvey is twofold – His abrupt personality change is ridiculous, though not as ridiculous as the fact that he skips thru the streets of Gotham when he should be in the intensive care unit at the nearest hospital – An idea solely created for ‘make up/special effects’ purposes turned this entire movie into a ‘joke’ for me... & I was having so much fun enjoying the ‘Joker’!
Yes, I will be the lone voice of reason & tell you this movie is over-hyped – “Iron Man” is still the best comic book movie ever made – The only question remaining is – ‘Who will accept the Oscar for Heath Ledger?’ because it will not only be the sentimental vote – it will be the correct one...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I have to disagree. You should have never went in with unbelievable expectations. When is the last time, truly, that a movie has punched you in the gut and floored you ? People were making it out to be like the best movie of all time. Never believe that crap.
But I do think it's easily the best movie of the year so far. And your ranking on why Harvet Dent did what he did, is all I can say, remember it's a comic book premise. Anything can happen. I think you'd be correct if it was a movie set in a reality themed premise, but it's not. They were true to the comic book in how Dent became Two Face. He flips because he think Rachel has died and Joker has won.
I also think is was expertly made IE, the writing of difficult scenes and technical aspects.
One thing I have noticed since your days at KJR, is you can pick apart the most slightest of things. But I got a kick out of that. Liking something I thought was garbage and then cranking something I thought was well made. I just wanted to enjoy the film and it did what I wanted it to do.
You are right about the Ledger performance. He even changed his voice for the role into a high pitched kind of cackle, when in reality is had a very low Australian accent. It's a shame we will only see one more offering from him. He was destined to be one of the next best in the business. The sad rumor is that this was the role that he became totally immersed in and it caused him to develop insomnia. Hence the the prescription to sleeping pills and his untimely death.

oscartracker.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Kurt, for the longest time, I was saying I had low expectations for Dark Knight - but EVERYONE was singing its praises & the clips of Ledger's Joker led to most of my anticipation, & as I said, he does not disappoint - he lived up to the hype - the film does not.
I'm not a comic book guy at all. So the 'story of Two Face' is beyond me - If we were supposed to know about him ahead of time, I was ignorant on Harvey's history. You mention the 'comic book premise' to excuse the implausible plot, but after 'Batman Begins', I was hoping this franchise would rise above the 'cartoonish' aspects of the Batman movies of the past. On the actors voices - think about it - Bale, Ledger & Oldman all have heavy accents in their normal speaking voices - lucky Michael Caine didn't have to cover his accent as much since he was playing a butler, but no one would have suspected that Batman, The Joker & Jim Gordon were all 'doing' American accents.
It was a very good movie, I'm ranking it #3 of the year - it is worth seeing for Heath's performance mainly. I guess I was trying to warn non-comic book readers that it isn't as great as critics have made it out to be.
The last 'Bourne' movie was so over-hyped, I ripped it to shreds, even though it wasn't as bad as I made it out to be.
Obviously more people are interested in seeing special effects & car chase scenes than a truly great & moving story such as "The Visitor"...
A tragedy that Heath is no longer with us, but, wow - what a performance to leave behind for the ages, huh?
As always, Kurt, I appreciate your comments. Sorry I 'cranked' on the Bat Man movie!

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a great movie. Exhilerating. I personally had no problem with the Dent issue. I knew that's how he became two face, but I do understand how you could find that was kind of phony if you didn't know about Two Face back story. I also agree with Kurt on the technical aspects of the film that are genius. I believe it will recieve more than one Oscar nomination.
And the Heath performance? I don't remember when that many people agreed to a performance so whole heartedly. We'll wait till the end of the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the best performance, lead or supporting, all of 2008.

Anonymous said...

Hello, movieluva!
Thanks for the comments, always appreciate hearing from someone new. Yes, I appear to be the only person that wasn't aware of what was going to happen to Harvey Dent - I bailed out on the last series of Batman movies after the
2nd one (With Danny DeVito as The Penguin) so I had no idea. 'The Dark Knight' is a very good film - but for my taste, I prefered the Robert Downey, Jr. comic book movie more - maybe because 'Iron Man' was 'new' to the silver screen, the entire project was just more refreshing!
I saw where Shirley McLaine was asked if Heath deserved an Oscar nomination & she said, "No, of course not." I don't remember what two-bit musical she won hers for (Was it Sweet Charity?) but I know one thing - Her performance couldn't possibly match Heath's in originality & intensity!
I look forward to your next comment, novieluva.

Anonymous said...

personally my 2nd favorite of the year so far behind tropic thunder.
heath will get a nomination. and should win. he pulled a ddl as the joker.

Anonymous said...

We already know that hack Shirley MacLaine won't be voting for Heath, but I don't see how he could possibly lose - the tragedy of his death aside - it was an exhilerating performance. I think most voters will ignore Shirley's short-sightedness & put his name on the list of Oscar winners. Personally, my 5 nominees for Best Supporting Actor right now are 1-Heath Ledger (Dark Knight) 2-Robert Downey, Jr. (Tropic Thunder) 3-Heath Ledger(Dark Knight) 4-Brendan Gleeson(In Bruges) & 5-Heath Ledger (Dark Knight). . . Really, who else is there right now?

Anonymous said...

This didn't even feel or seem like a comic book movie to me. Thematically I felt it was about terrorism. So far my favorite movie of 2008 and I firmly believe that Heath Ledger should not only be nominated for an Oscar, but I feel safe in saying that the best role in support of this year was from him, without having to see any other performances for the rest of the year. Hand over the trophy now. The only one that could possibly be a spoiler would be Philip Seymour Hoffman in Doubt, and I just don't see that happening. Bravo to Christopher Nolan and his artisitc eye, direction and screenwriting.

Anonymous said...

Well, it got snubbed for picture which didn't surprise me, but snubbing Christopher Nolan is wrong I think.

It did get a bunch of other nominations so it didn't get totally snubbed. and Heath looks like the heavy favorite.

Lilithas said...

I'm just glad Ledger got the Oscar, even if he wasn't around to receive it himself. They showed respect to everyone who loved him. I've never seen an actor play a more believable role - and a more deserved award.

The rest of the movie is kind of boring. And I was seriously wondering why they chose Maggie Gyllenhaal (though to be completely honest, I didn't think Katie Holmes fit the part either).

Loved Michael Caine though. And for Morgan Freeman lovers, just him showing up is enough.

Terry R said...

Lilithas, I wouldn't say the rest of the movie was 'boring' - for me, it was 'less interesting' because I wanted more of Heath's Joker. I am intrigued by your comment "I've never seen an actor play a more believable role"... Really? I thought he was great because, despite playing a character that has been interpreted a few times, he brought an originality & an excessive creepiness to the part. &, befitting the title of the film, a very 'dark' take on a criminal that wears clownish make-up. But I wouldn't use the word 'believeable'. I'm curious as to why you felt that.

Lilithas said...

I say believable because you can look at the Joker's face, watch him walk and talk and not see any trace of Heath himself in it. As in he's downright acting and yet you can't distinguish between the actor and the person he's acting out. Maybe believable is the wrong word? Would probably be better to say that Ledger devoted himself to the role.

Though I do think he made the character totally real. It's a little hard to explain, but you know how sometimes you watch an actor/actress and notice that they're acting is too obvious? That you can actually feel them playing the role with a distance, instead of being a part of it? Ledger didn't have that.

Hope you get my point and that I'm making some sense. ;)

Lilithas said...

Oh, and just to clarify, I'm not a Batman fan, which is why the parts without Heath Ledger were a little boring for me. I only happened to watch the cartoons and the movies because my brother is.

Terry R said...

I agree completely - there's no trace of Heath in the Joker. I had a chance to listen to the movie not long ago (Someone else was watching it on a laptop) & I was shocked at how Heath altered his voice - it was like he had a vocal cord transplant!
As far as 'obvious' acting - that's a pet peeve of mine. When I go to a 'serious' film, my mind set is - okay 'actors', make me believe you're the character you're portraying. If they can't do that, they fail. I guess my criteria is different from most because many actors that I would call hacks have won Oscars!
I wasn't much of a Batman fan either, the first Christian Bale film, 'Batman Begins' intrigued me with the cast. & I took a lot of criticism for not knowing Harvey was going to become someone named 'Two-Faced'.