Sunday, June 1, 2008

HAROLD & KUMAR ESCAPE FROM GUANTANAMO BAY

“HAROLD & KUMAR ESCAPE FROM GUANTANAMO BAY” (John Cho, Kal Penn, Rob Corddry & Neil Patrick Harris)

I will start by telling you, I never thought I would pay money to watch the sequel of “Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle”, but in the interim of seeing the first film on TV & being pleasantly surprised by Neil Patrick Harris’ comedic portrayal of Neil Patrick Harris – said actor landed a role on a sit-com that my wife enjoys. So with slim pickings at our local theaters, the Mrs. wanted to see ‘Barney’s movie’...
As with the original, NPH is the best part of the film – he is, unfortunately, not in it very much & is pretty much doing the same shtick. That’s not to say this ‘stoner’ movie sequel doesn’t have its moments of humor (Though it does suffer from ‘taking a decent bit & running it into the ground’ disease) But from the viewpoint of a 50-55 year old male that has never been ‘stoned’ in his life, I would still recommend this movie to most of my friends & relatives that enjoyed any of the Cheech & Chong movies which came AFTER “Up In Smoke”.
Too many scenes of watching characters getting high & behaving ‘stupidly’ afterward would be my #1 complaint. #2 would be the addition to Rob Corddry as an overzealous FBI agent. Didn’t care for his ‘Steve Carell-Wanna-Be’ bits on the Daily Show & don’t understand why he’s being given movie roles – though he does have one scene with NPH that works well.
Still, it made me laugh a few times – Got a ‘17’ rating on my ‘How Funny Was It?’ meter.
To give you an idea of how the meter works – I laugh out loud – that’s a point. I chuckle - that's half a point. & then I give ‘humorous lines that make me crack a grin’ a quarter of a point. For comparison, “Wedding Crashers” & “40 Year Old Virgin” both scored in the 60’s; 2007’s “Death At A Funeral” hit the 40’s & “I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry” finished with 1 & ½..
If you really want to know more about the plot than what the title infers, then you shouldn’t see this film. If you liked ‘H&K-White Castle’, you’ll probably like ‘H&K – Guantanamo Bay’ because you obviously aren’t bothered by an overload of silly characters combined with a simplistic plot....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have gone through your comedy movie reviews as i did when you did them at the radio webiste and you have terrible comedy taste. dont know like dumb humor ? where it is supposed to be dumb for the dumb sake? this was better than the first one. it will be a cult classic.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Anonymous 6:16 PM, I actually thought I gave this movie a decent review - but from the point of view of someone that predicts 'cult' status for 'H&K-2',
I guess it was rather harsh. I can only say in my defense that if I have such a terrible sense for comedy, how did I come up with literally hundreds of comedy clips for Groz With Gas everyday for all those years? Thanks for checking in, though, we are all allowed our opinion & I'm glad you took the time to read mine.