Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The DEBT

“The DEBT” (Helen Mirren/Jessica Chastain, Tom Wilkenson/Marton Csokas, Ciaran Hinds/Sam Worthington & Jesper Christensen)

The best film of the year so far – without question. I loved this movie! The only flaw it has is the fact that none of the younger versions of the characters look anything like the older versions. The only way we know Helen Mirren is Rachel 30 years later is due to the scar on her cheek & the only way Sam Worthington morphs into Ciaran Hinds is due to extensive botched plastic surgery...
That easily dismissible annoyance aside – this is a great film. Best one I’ve seen in a few years. At one point I felt they had ruined it by revealing something too soon, but when they showed why that scene was included, it made the film even better.
Opening in 1997 with Rachel (Helen Mirren) sitting in the front row of an audience congratulating her daughter, Sarah, on the publication of a book she wrote about an exploit her mother & father went through in 1966. Without saying a word, you can tell that Rachel has a problem with what is taking place – she appears to want to force herself to look proud of Sarah’s accomplishment, yet at the same time,
her eyes reveal that she feels ashamed.
Obviously something about this project doesn’t sit well with Rachel – and to find out why we are transported back to East Berlin in 1966 when she (Now played by Jessica Chastain) meets with her two male counterparts; Stephan (Marton Csokas) & David (Sam Worthington) They are given the assignment to capture Nazi war criminal Dr. Dieter Vogel, otherwise known as the ‘Surgeon of Birkenau’ (Sounds like they’re saying ‘beer canal’ so I had to look it up)
Vogel is practicing as an gynecologist, so Rachel is the only choice to see him as a patient. It becomes her task to take heir doktor down so they can kidnap him & get him out of East Germany to stand trial. When she does this, it is a both exhilarating & mildly erotic &, as in a lot of the films major scenes, heartpoundingly* suspenseful.
Problems arise when the trio can’t locate any allies to take Dr. Vogel off their hands, so they have to keep him prisoner for several weeks. This is where the film gets its Oscar caliber muscle as Jesper Christensen shines in his role as Vogel when he confronts David with tales of why it was so easy to exterminate Jews. “Why do you think it only took 4 soldiers to walk 1,000 Jews to the gas chamber?” the disgusting excuse for a human being taunts, “Because they were weak people who only thought of them selves. Not one of them would risk their own life to save the others.”
That scene – very powerful & one I’ll remember for a long, long time – opened my eyes to what the Nazi’s were. You wonder how an entire country of people could be warped by an insane leader, & it really comes down to the strong devouring the weak. I’ve known a few people in my life that were like that (To a much weaker degree, of course) But who doesn’t know someone that will take advantage of another ‘because’ that other person allows them to? The Nazi's, of course, were the ultimate sick f---ing bastards...
When they return to 1997 for the finale; the closure, if you will – Stephan is now Tom Wilkenson, & he’s an a—hole. David, botched surgeries & all, is Ciaran Hinds & he’s a sniveling little fraidy-cat. And once again, Rachel has to bail them out of their predicament.
It’s a great story – well told and excellently acted. I think I could put all six lead actors on my list of Oscar candidates & Jesper Christensen is my leader for best supporting actor. Go see ‘The Debt’, people. If you don’t like it, then just wait for ‘Zookeeper’ to come out on DVD & stay home for the rest of your life...

* As a movie critic I feel it is my duty to make up my own words every once in while...

1 comment:

dbm said...

I thought it was quite good as well. Maybe not quite as high on it as you, but still one of the better movies of the year so far.
So Jesper Christensen tops your list for supporting actor eh ? He was good in it and he definitely cracks my top 5, but just a little up from him I have 2 other actors that nearly steal every scene they are in...# 1 on my list ( so far this year ) is Albert Brooks playing against type as the criminal kingpin in the Gosling Bullet-ish like film, Drive. Saw it at a sneak preview. Good action movie. Has a good cast with Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, Oscar Issac and Christina Hendricks. # 2... and this only means thus far, would be Nick Nolte as the father of the two MMA fighting brothers. Pre-screened that one too. I have no interest in MMA fighting so I wasn't sure I'd get into a movie with that premise, but it's told real well the two leads are good, especially Tom Hardy ( who has since been cast as the main villian in the third Batman movie ). Nice to see Nolte doing good work again.
Brad Pitt as the father in The Tree Of Life was pretty convincing, yet I don't know if he cracks my top 5 list. I hear he does his best work of his career as Billy Beane in Moneyball. Philip Seymour Hoffman is playing A's manager at the time, Art Howe. It was directed by the dude that did Capote. I'm catching that one next Tuesday.
Right now The Debt has made my top 10 list. I wonder if other films releasing the rest of the year may nudge it out ? I have it at number 6 so far.