Saturday, December 11, 2010

The TOURIST

“The TOURIST” (Johnny Depp & Angelina Jolie)

Sometimes there’s a fine line between clever and stupid. Case in point; the final scenes of ‘The Tourist’ – I’m sure the three screenplay writers thought they were being witty with their surprise twist of an ending, but I thought it totally ruined an otherwise pleasurable film. I shan’t reveal the twist, of course, but now you know there is one & it’s ridiculously stupid & ruins the movie.
I liked ‘The Tourist’ up until the final scenes – in that way it’s akin to ‘Inglorious Basterds’, except that it wasn’t nearly as much fun as ‘I.B.’ leading up to the disappointment.
One thing that was odd about the pairing of Depp & Jolie – very little chemistry develops. Yet, I liked Depp as the Wisconsin math teacher on vacation in Italy & Jolie as the love interest of the mysterious Alexander Pearce; a man that embezzled over 2 billion euros from a ruthless drug dealer. Together they worked when Depp’s naive Frank Tuppalo was obviously awe-struck by Jolie’s Elise Ward. With the exception of her fat-assed lips, Jolie is dazzling throughout ‘The Tourist’ – whether walking solo thru the streets of Venice or in a crowded fancy ballroom, Elise stands out, not just from the other humans but from the scenery as well. Depp, on the other hand, looks disheveled most of the time; & not at all like someone the glamorous Elise would find the least bit interesting.
Her reason for approaching him in the first place made sense, but when she checks into a luxurious hotel with him as ‘husband & wife’, it starts to look a little fishy. It’s when they start to make it appear as though Elise isn’t just ‘using’ Frank, but desires him that they just don’t mesh. It was weird. They had chemistry when chemistry wasn’t called for & had none when it was needed.
‘The Tourist’ starts off interesting; gains momentum with Frank’s arrival and then peters out to a sputtering, idiotic climax.
It starts with Elise going out for her morning coffee being watched by every possible surveillance device known to mankind. When she receives a letter from a courier, those spying on her go nuts; arresting the kid that delivered the message and saving the ashes from the note after Elise burns it, as instructed.
The letter is from A. P. who tells Elise to catch a certain train and then find someone with his height & build and then make ‘them’ believe he’s me. Naturally Elise finds Frank and the wheels of an intriguing entertaining tale of mistaken identity is set in motion.
Unfortunately the wheels go flat with the appalling finale.
There are some whimsical lines, mostly Frank’s, but it wasn’t nearly as funny as I hoped it would be. The best line was revealed in the preview; “No, when you downgrade murder to attempted murder it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, but when you upgrade it from room service it becomes quite serious.” & Frank’s continual use of Spanish, thinking it’s close enough to Italian that the inhabitants should be able to understand him bring a few chuckles = but there aren’t any, & I hate to use this expression, ‘laugh out loud’ moments. It was enjoyable, but a fun ride that ends with dissatisfaction is worse than a slow ride that ends with a bang – because as I walked out of the theatre I felt cheated by the writers for making me think I was going to enjoy their show and then performing a cheap, seen-it-a-thousand-times before card trick that sent me home feeling disappointed.

6 comments:

dbm said...

Wow... How I am totally surprised with this film. I was going in anticipating something much more.
This is Razzie material. It's definitely low down on the list compared to their previous work. Just goes to show you it's not a slam dunk if you stack two A list stars together and automatically think it's going to come out roses.
Depp looks bored and Jolie just walks around in pretty dresses. And there is absolutely no chemistry. I even go as far as to say Depp looks tired. I was pretty shocked to hear he took no time off after spending 3 months on the fourth Pirates movie and right into The Tourist with no break. Beware Johnny, please slow down and see how this 4 films in a year thing is going for Nic Cage.
Plus another thing I found kind of annoying is that the director, whose previous film I liked ( The Live Of Others ) didn't know how to handle this type of genre or know what to do with it. The tone of the film feels directionless. Maybe even hurried. No continuity either.
I didn't really feel the ending was so bad, it was just that the two leads didn't seem to have their hearts into it. For me this is by far Johnny Depp's most sleep walking role I have seen him do in a long time. He usually has a glint in his eye no matter how mundane a character may be. Jolie usually has a certain spark too. Not here. They both seem kind of distant to the cameras.
As I mentioned I 'm surprised because I was looking forward to it. I like that Depp has The Rum Diary coming next year, that's a juicy role where he'll really get to sink his teeth into the character but I wish him and Tim Burton would take a little break. Do they have to do a movie every year together ? Depp has just signed on the do their version of Dark Shadows. Don't quite know what to think about that.

movie luva said...

I'm trying to think of the last movie I have seen two actors more transparent while on film ? OK...I know, The Bounty Hunter. It's just that now it's Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie phoning it in. I heard two boo's in my theater. Had several walk outs. Just wasn't working. I got the feeling ( being a female ) Johnny's vibe was " off " with Angelina. Like he was doing a " I'm not going to sex you up because I don't want your man to trip " type thing. I could be wrong. But I concur with Terry and dbm...no chemistry.
I don't so much see it as a bad movie but definitely is more of a let down given who the leads are. Fail...

blue stater said...

I didn't see it. It just didn't appeal to me. Though I am a Depp fan and am quite looking forward to The Rum Diary.
And where did everyone go ? Didn't you used to have about 10 regular commenters ?

Terry R said...

Looks like we were all fooled by the trailer. I'm not a big fan of either actor, but I see most of their films because I don't dislike them - so Depp looking tired & Jolie doing nothing but posing throughout the film didn't bother me THAT much. I liked it for the most part, until the elongated boat chase scene & the idiotic ending - I mean, c'mon, dbm, the 'extensive plastic surgery routine' - It worked on 'Get Smart' (the TV series) when it was played for laughs, but they seriously wanted you to buy it in 'The Tourist'. Maybe Depp's & Jolie's hearts weren't in this flick because they knew how it was going to end & couldn't muster up the enthusiasm for the entire shoot.
I don't know if 'Bounty Hunter' is a good comparison, though because THAT movie stunk so bad I thought it was being shown in 'Smell-o-rama'. I never saw 'Knight & Day', just the insipid trailer, but from what I heard, the acting comparison could be made from Cruz & Diaz 'posing' thru that film...
As far as commentators, some have made the mistake of having children, while some probably don't get out to see as many movies, but Alan Smithee has no excuse for ignoring my blog - Just because you have a job that requires you to be there doesn't mean you can't lecture me on what a jackass I am, Mr. Smithee.

dbm said...

Yes...more Smithee !

I had to LOL ( laugh out loud ! )
when I saw Jolie and Depp get Globe nods and The Tourist for film as well. Globes need to get those A listers on the red carpet to bolster their ratings.

Terry R said...

That's EXACTLY what I told my wife!
"Want to know why the Golden Globes don't matter? They nominated Depp & Jolie just to get the 'common folk' to tune in to their unprestigious telecast!"