Monday, December 20, 2010

The FIGHTER

“The FIGHTER” (Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams & Melissa Leo)

Once every few years (or so) an actor comes up with a performance that transcends your ‘normal’ great performances – When the screen went blank at the end of ‘The Fighter’, I asked my wife, “Do you thin we just watched an Oscar winning performance?” & her answer was, “I thought Amy was good.” - which brought me back to realizing that no one else seems to view films the same way I do. The regular commentators on this blog are much better-rounded than I am in what they look for in a film – they’ll make comments on the cinematography and the lighting of scenes – even the director matters more to them than it does to me. I can’t see the director, so why do I care who he is?
My biggest criteria are acting & story; and what blows me away is when an actor ‘becomes’ his character and yes, the further that character is from the actor’s natural persona (& voice) the more impressive it is to me. Early on in ‘The Fighter’, Christian Bale, as ex-boxer Dicky Ecklund, is seen walking the streets with his younger half-brother, Micky Ward (Wahlberg) It is clear that Dicky isn’t ‘right in the head’ as he does most of the talking and he doesn’t articulate one single intelligent thought. My wife
whispered to me, “What’s wrong with him?” I replied, “he’s Australian.”
I said that because I wanted to remind her that the man playing Dicky, the All-American crack addicted braggart speaks with a very thick Australian accent in real life.
When the film ended and she guessed that Amy gave the Oscar winning performance, I told her Amy was good – a supporting actress contender – but she spoke in Amy Adams’ voice – Wahlberg spoke in Mark’s regular voice – Christian not only became that unreliable crack head loser Dicky, he did so while using a voice that wasn’t anywhere near the way he normally spoke – that’s impressive. I heard that Christian’s performance in ‘The Fighter’ SHOULD garner him his first Oscar nomination – those people are wrong – it SHOULD net him his first OSCAR. I cannot heap enough praise upon Bale – rarely does an actor WOW me the way he did as Dicky Ecklund. An incredible acting feat from an actor that seemed to me to give up a promising career to go ‘franchise’.
When my wife remembered that Bale was also ‘Batman’, she commented, “That guy sure didn’t look like ‘Batman’.” Didn’t look, act or talk like Batman or Christian Bale... well, except for the temper tantrums.
So, what about the film? It’s good. The entire cast elevates the material (I actually thought Melissa Leo was more impressive than Adams as well) & Wahlberg fit because his character was the easiest to play from an acting standpoint (Don’t get on my case for not realizing how much work it took to get into fighting shape)
Another ‘based’ on a true story, “The Fighter” tells the tale of a family that brings a bad name to the phrase ‘trailer trash’. Micky Ward is trained by his drug addicted brother, Dicky and managed by his chain smoking, tough talking, Dicky-loving mother, Alice (Leo) And always lurking in the background are Micky & Dicky’s seven ‘lovely’ sisters... I’d like to know where they found these 7 broads – I’m guessing there was a trailer trash sale at ‘Skanks ‘R’ Us’.
Micky is the only member of the clan that has a chance to make it out of the ‘slum’ Alice has raised them in & seems very content to keep ‘the family’ together.
When bartender Charlene (Amy Adams) comes into Micky’s life he begins to yearn for a better life. Charlene pushes him into dumping his brother and mother as trainer and manager and hired ‘legit’ professionals.
This sets up a good vrs. evil scenario; on the good side, Charlene, Micky’s father George, who runs like a scared bunny every time his wife loses her temper (Which is frequently) and police officer Mickey O’Keefe – a good friend that helps Micky W. with his training.
On the bad side – everyone else in Micky’s family; Mom, Dicky & the Seven Deadly Sisters.
Still Micky is in conflict over dumping his family and thus threatens to break up the good thing he has with Charlene and his new associates.
This movie isn’t pleasant to watch (unless like me, you become completely enthralled by Christian Bale’s performance) it is gritty and hard-core (language-wise, there’s no nudity, damn it!) These are the type of people that if you were in a bar and they walked in, you’d get up & leave immediately because you know something distasteful is bound to happen with this group of sleaze-bags.
It doesn’t give you anything new as far as boxing stories are concerned - it is the relationship between Alice and her two sons that propel this film. And trust me, you’ll WANT to forget that you ever meet Alice & Dicky but I doubt that you’ll be able to do so.

8 comments:

dbm said...

Easily in my top 5. I could see it again in the theater. But I won't because I have year end films to see yet.
It's looking like Bale will be the one to beat at the Oscar's. He's cleaning up precursor wins already. Has about 5 wins. The only other person that could upset him is Geoffrey Rush from The King's Speech. Also...Melissa Leo has several precursor victories alreasy as well in supporting actress.
This is David O' Russell's best film ( having done Three King's and I Heart uckabees ) Hey...he and Wahlberg must work well together, this is their third collaboration.
And it's hard to believe how far Dickie fell. I just watched his match where he goes toe to toe with Sugar Ray Leonard. Both were good boxers but Mickey wanted it more than Dickie, whereas Dickie was more the natural. He self admitted before fighting Sugar Ray, he was on 4 hours sleep and drank 4 beers before getting in the ring. And still gave Sugar Ray fits.
Now all these years later, they are going to make a good amount of money from the film. There's some good boxing footage of both boxers in the ring on youtube. The Mickey Ward/ Arturo Gatti fight is one great fight. Both boxers not budging a bit.
Good review by the way. I'm going to send it to several people you used to know :)

movie luva said...

OK... I wasn't going to see this because I can't stand boxing but seeing both of your positive words here has me now wanting to see it.

I'm going to see it tomorrow and I'll report back. From what I can tell is that it's just not all about boxing and there's a lot of story involved. If that's true then I'm in.

So I'll see this tomorrow and see True Grit on Saturday night.

movie luva said...

Well... I am back from seeing it and I must say that it was a pretty invigorating movie going experience. In fact, I could see the film beong nominted for several Academy Awards, especially for, like most are saying, Christian Bale. But both woman are good and Wahlberg is surprsing in his restraint opposite Bale. Having them both be " out there " would have have screwed up the ying-yang of their relationship.

Thank you for suggesting a film, I otherwise most likely wouldn't have seen. I also have suggested to my brother, who deplores boxing but loves him some Marky Mark and Christian Bale.
This one is a potential DVD owner.

Terry R said...

I was a boxing fan during the 'Ali era'. Since then, I deplore the 'sport' as well (& jerks like Mike Tyson turned me that way)
So I went into 'The Fighter' with some of the same feelings Movie Luva had - I'd heard Bale was excellent in it & I liked his work from 2004-2007, so I was hoping he'd bounce back here & boy, did he ever! He also had to overcome playing a very disagreeable person - someone THAT pathetic & unlikeable is hard to watch; when Micky said he wanted Dicky back in his corner, I groaned. & yet, every scene Bale was in he dominated - & it wasn't just the over-the-top, look at me, I'm an a**hole scenes - at the end of the HBO special on crack addiction, when Dicky goes from being boisterous to humble, showing contrition for wasting his life, Dicky finally becomes human - You don't think he can do it, but that one scene made me finally start to see a glimmer of hope. And the scene with Charlene put a lump in my throat. If it had all been Dicky the crackhead acting like an moron, I wouldn't have been so enamored with his performance.
Finally, You're sending my review to people I USED to know? What am I, senile?

Terry R said...

One more comment - Micky Ward spells his name without the 'e' - didn't you catch that in the film? Mickey O'Keefe spells it with an 'e' on their fancy new robes & shirts & Micky W. points out "I don't spell my name with an 'e', Mickey."
Being the astute movie viewer you are, I thought you'd appreciate me pointing that out to avoid future mistakes.
Little piddly details are what I specialize in, you know?

dbm said...

Well I am not good at remembering how names are spelled. I'm terrible at it. I still don't know how to correctly spell my nieces name. Is it Katelyn or Katlynn ?
What is useful of note, is that Micky made Ring Magazine's top fights of the year three different times. Pretty impressive. That's in there with some legends of the sport going back to the 1950's.
Dick took Sugar Ray Leonard to all 10 rounds with Sugar Ray getting the decision in 1978. He was a good trainer to Micky because Micky knew that Dick had that natural boxing knowledge of the sport more than he did.
Glad Movie Luva liked it as well. It's not just a movie for guys.
If I could make a compilation of boxing fights the first Gatti/Ward fight would definitely be on it. That was some serious boxing fisticuffs to behold.

blue stater said...

Great review. Point taken.It's my day off today and I went and caught an early show. It's one of my favorites of the year. Bale is great but they all are in their own way. I agree that it looks pretty good for Leo and Adams getting nominations. Don't even have to mention Bale's chances. Saw True Grit last night and both make their way into my top 10.
Right now my top ten of 2010 is rounding out as follows

1) Shutter Island
2) The Fighter
3) Secretariat
4) 127 Hours
5) Conviction
6) True Grit
7) Edge Of Darkness
8) Black Swan
9) Robin Hood
10) The Town

* I made a split eith my wife, me True Grit and her Black Swan, and I was surprised at what Black Swan was. I didn't think it would be a freakish, mind meld, psyco trip. It's really like Hitchock in the 21st century. It has that is this really happening or not thing that Hitchcock was so good at in many of his mysteries. And it's official, Natalie Portman has raised her game even more to the top of the teir in the actresses of this day.

movie luva said...

Just checking in and it looks like this movie we all seem to agree on, though it would be nice to hear from Mr. Smithee and some of the others who used to visit.

And good to see someone mention Black Swan. I'm hearing more and more men liking it, though maybe some are self admiting for some other reasons ( cheeky smirk inserted )

We are seeing it tonight and have other movies on our adgenda the next few days along with True Grit, The King's Speech on Christmas night and follow that off with Rabbit Hole at the Harvard Exit on Sunday. Then I think I'm done for the year.