Thursday, September 23, 2010

The TOWN

“The TOWN” (Ben Afleck, Jeremy Renner, Rebecca Hall & Jon Hamm)

The promos bragged, from ‘acclaimed’ director Ben Afleck... ‘Acclaimed’?
For one ‘okay’ film that didn’t live up to the promise of the source material? (Dennis Lehane’s “Gone Baby Gone”)
Well, I’d say acclaimed director Ben Afleck takes a bit of a step backward with his second effort. The problem is, I can’t really discuss why this film falls a little short without giving too much of it away. So here’s the set up –
Afleck plays Doug Macray, a bank robber. His best friend James (Jeremy Renner) is also a bank robber. They have two other accomplices but they weren’t very good actors so they didn’t get very many lines (One, some overweight goober calling himself ‘Slaine’ has been in 3 films – 2 of them directed by the much acclaimed Ben Afleck... wonder what he has on old Ben that he doesn’t want us to find out?)
The foursome’s M.O. is to don masks (skeletors/nuns) The electronic wiz knows how to shut down alarm systems, the chubby guy is the world’s greatest get-away driver, Doug knows how to sweet talk his way into a vault & James is the violent hothead that strikes fear into the hearts of everyone unfortunate enough to be present during one of their heists.
When a silent alarm is tripped during the film’s opening robbery, they take a hostage, bank employee Claire (Rebecca Hall)
When they make good on their escape, they release Claire but keep her driver’s license.
Doug, obviously impressed with how Claire handled herself under pressure begins stalking her under the guise of ‘making sure she doesn’t tell the cops anything that might give away their identities’. After Doug worms his way into her heart, she reveals to him a detail that she forgot to tell the police – a tattoo on the back of the neck of one of the robbers. The only time in this film that I felt anything resembling a ‘tense’ moment is when James interrupts Doug & Claire’s lunch date & Doug has to keep James from showing Claire the back of his neck.
Jon Hamm plays FBI Special Agent Frawley who both hunts down the criminals as well as connects Claire to Macray. He’s serviceable. Meaning, I have no complaints, but neither did he do anything to stand out from any other actor to ever play a special agent for the FBI.
Chris Cooper has only one scene, but he is, as usual, flawless. Playing Doug’s imprisoned for life father he seems to care more about his relationship with the guards than he does his son. Even for a small part, Cooper immerses himself in his character – which made me wish the acclaimed director had included more scenes with Doug & his father... Perhaps the non-acclaimed actor felt intimidated by being seen onscreen with a true pro?
A big surprise was Blake Lively who plays Jim’s floozy sister Krista. True, the only exposure I’ve had of Ms. Lively is when my wife dragged (& drugged) me to see ‘Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 – the Way the Pants Would Have Wanted It’ so I never would have thought her capable of playing a sleazy addict like Krista. When Krista jumps on Doug’s lap for a quickie & shoves her ample cleavage into his face, I wondered if she was wearing the well worn ‘traveling pants’ (obviously frayed in the crotch area) & if this was indeed the way they wanted it.
But my complaint against ‘The Town’ is the lack of ‘surprises’ – there are none. Everything plays out pretty much the way it’s set up, & to me, that made it a little dull & somewhat predictable.

5 comments:

movie luva said...

I really liked The Town. I thought the entire cast did a fine job. This has easily creeped into my top 10 of the year. I know this is based off a book, which I didn't read, but I hear from reviews that Affleck kept it close to the book.
Seems to be doing well critically too. I really thought Renner stole the show though.

Terry R said...

What I read was that Afleck 'tweaked' the screenplay by adding a couple of stories he was told by actual bank robbers from Boston & that he shouldn't have been given a writers credit.
If there was a book involved, it must have been exceedingly dull if the movie version added 'tweaks' to make it more exciting.
I'm not on the Jeremy Renner bandwagon - I didn't understand his nomination for 'Hurt Locker' & I don't get the acclaim he's receiving for 'The Town' - he's a stereotypical 'hotheaded' criminal. I found his character unbelievable because anyone that stupid & that violent would be in prison. True, 'The Florist' planned their jobs for them, but James had already done time for murder so he would have been easy to pick up & throw back in the slammer. Plus both Afleck & Renner were guilty of 'somtimes' using their hokey Boston accents & sometimes forgetting them... &, no, I don't care if Afleck is from Boston, he's a mediocre actor that can't stay in character for every scene. 'The Town' isn't a bad movie, it's entertaining enough, but it doesn't go anywhere that you haven't seen before.

dbm said...

It's not as good as Gone Baby Gone, because of the talent in front of the camera in that one were better, but it does prove that Affleck isn't a one trick pony and is a legit director. Just stay out of your own movies you direct Ben.
I know for this fact, that top notch talent sign up to work for him; for example two Oscar winning cinematographer's John Toll ( GBG ) and now Robert Elswit ( TWBB ) These guys would NOT attach themselves to a hack.

blue stater said...

I'm kind of thinking you just don't like Ben Affleck. You didn't really write a great review for Gone Baby Gone if I remember.
I liked the film just fine. I'm with ML in that it's cracked my top 10.
Now we are getting into the nitty gritty of movie season and every week from here on out should at least be one worthwhile film to see.

Terry R said...

Anyone that thinks Ben Afleck is an above average actor just isn't critical enough. My problem with Ben's directing stems from the way The Town was promoted -'from ACCLAIMED director'... he made one film! So from a director's standpoint, I have nothing against him - he's made two decent films but he's far from being 'acclaimed'. Should brother Casey's next film will be dubbed from the acclaimed director of 'I'm Still Here'?
Now this year has been as starved for quality movies as the last two have been so if you want to put 'The Town' in your top 10, I can't argue with that because my own top 10 doesn't look all that good either. But I kind of get the feeling, from Blue Staters comment that just because a film is released in the latter part of the year, it automatically deserves Oscar attention. Last year at this time, I was told (by movie luva & dbm) that there were plenty of excellent films on the horizon & I shouldn't be so hard on 2009, but those excellent films never materialized & 2009 stunk.
Okay, back to 'The Town' - Can you explain to me what makes it 'Top 10 worthy'? because I kept waiting for something out of the ordinary to happen - something unexpected, a clever twist to set it apart from other 'gritty' bank robbery dramas & it never did that. It was a good, though somewhat run of the mill story. I gave it a B- which would put it around #16-18 on my list. So I didn't dislike it, other than I felt cheated that such an acclaimed director couldn't put out a better film...
I have a lot of respect for movie luva, but she did write that 'The Town' was "doing well critically". That's something a sheep would say (Sorry, m.l., but it's true) To say that a film is good because critics like it is exactly why I call humans sheep. 'The critics are raving, so we will go see it & we will rave too.' Remember, critics raved about 'Revolutionary Road' - hell, someone somewhere will rave about any piece of crap out there just to see their byline in the promos;
"Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World is the most awesomeness movie of all-time!" raved Billy Beathoff of the White Center Albertson's weekly specials flyer. So let's try & stay away from what the 'critics' think because we all know that the only opinion that really matters is mine...
& sometimes yours.