Wednesday, September 8, 2010

SALT

“SALT” (Angelina Jolie & Liev Schrieber)

Saw this on Labor Day after viewing “The American” & there’s no question that 'Salt' is the better film. Why? Because, if anything, there’s too much going on in ‘Salt’ whereas nothing happens in ‘The American’.
I liked Salt because the plot was intriguing; the action scenes, though far-fetched as most action scenes are, still held my interest & that’s not easy to do. But what separated Salt from the usual spy flick is despite the confusion & the twists & turns in the plot, if you paid close attention to the little details, you could figure it out. So I appreciated that my diligence in noticing those details paid off & that there was only one twist that I didn’t see coming – when it came, I was a little disappointed in the overkill of Russian spies, but what the heck, it was an enjoyable ride watching this unique yarn spin itself out.
From the trailer you know that a former member of the Soviet Union (Daniel Olbrychski as Vassily Olov) surrenders to the Americans and while being interrogated by agent Evelyn Salt he tells her that she is going to assassinate the Russian president because she is a Russian spy.
Salt’s major concern from the moment this revelation comes to past is toward her German husband who rescued her years earlier from a Korean prison when she was caught spying & subsequently tortured.
C.I.A. agent Peabody (Chiwetel Ejiofor) goes a little overboard in trying to keep Salt contained & then recaptured when she escapes - as Evelyn leaps from vehicle to vehicle on a busy freeway, Peabody shoots at her, obviously not caring if a stray bullet hits an innocent driver whose auto could then spin out of control killing several more – or my favorite is when he shoots at her whilst she balances atop a tanker truck. My wife’s explanation for this was “He probably figured the tanker was empty.”
Just before leaping onto the freeway, Evelyn proclaims, “I’m being set up! I’m innocent!” Yet, she still makes her way to where the Russian president will be attending the funeral of the American Vice President.
Like everyone else, I was thinking she was going there to try & prevent the assassination but that doesn’t seem to be her purpose as she devises a way to be alone with the Russian leader & doesn’t try to hide what her intent is.
I don’t want to give too much away, like I said there are twists aplenty – although I knew why Salt was doing what she was doing by paying attention – Just keep asking yourself, “Why is she doing that?” & you’ll figure it out as well. And I liked that – too many films throw twists in from out of nowhere just to make themselves look clever. I think it makes them look stupid – If you don’t give us any clues, how can we figure it out, dumb-ass?
There was one major continuity problem – Evelyn escapes her apartment via the fire escape with her dog in a backpack – one second the dog is seen & the next second the backpack is zipped up with no dog in sight.
Liev Schreiber plays Evelyn’s supervisor, Ted Winter, who keeps telling the C.I.A. she’s innocent until she proves him wrong – then he wants to track her down & kill her more than Agent Peabody does.
The final scene was totally unnecessary as the U.S. President (played by a white guy for some reason – I guess they wanted us to think that it was Cheney who died) could have explained who did what. But I guess they felt they needed one more outlandish stunt to go out on. Still, I was very entertained by this film, even though the idea of rekindling the Cold War with the meek & mild Russians is more than a little idiotic, but the premise, the idea that is presented isn’t far-fetched, especially if you’re one of those conspiracy theorists – you’ll actually believe something like this is GOING to happen. & soon!

5 comments:

dbm said...

I didn't like it. I think I may have told you that. Even though I do like Jolie, and Philip Noyce is a well respected and good director,
I just found it way too unbelievable in many spots, even more OTT than Knight and Day.
Just when it starts to settle down into a good spy yarn at times it wanders off into hokey land. You don't need all that schlock to pull off a good spy yarn. For example, probably the best spy film of all time The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, starring Richard Burton and directed by Martin Ritt ( Hud, The Great White Hope ). Now that's a true blue spy film.
They didn't need Salt to do all that extracurricular stuff to make a point or be effective. You can have action and fight scenes but just keep them believable. Salt goes off into A-Team and Wanted territory too much for my taste.

movie luva said...

I see non-action oriented Jolie films. Instead of Laura Croft/Wanted, I prefer Changeling/A Mighty Heart/Girl Interrupted.

blue stater said...

I didn't see it, but I'll rent it for sure.

Lilithas said...

I watched it with a friend...she got bored somewhere in the middle, but I liked it. I didn't pay attention to details as much as you did, Terry, so I got a little confused at one point before Evelyn finds the Russian president, but all that did was make me want to keep watching to figure it all out.

I do agree with dbm...the action scenes are a bit out there, but doesn't that just make it more fun to watch? My eyes were glued to the screen when she was car hopping on the freeway.

Terry R said...

What dbm didn't like was watching (& believing) that a woman that looks like Angelina Jolie could kick any man's butt. But think about it db, if you were a security guard & Angelie Jolie came toward you would you be thinking, "I've got to take this woman down!" No, you wouldn't, you'd be thinking, "Holy cow, is that ANGELINA JOLIE? In my sector! Dude, this is so cool, I gotta call my buds!"... In the meantime Angelina has knocked you out.
To movie luva - This is the first Jolie 'action' flick I have liked. I didn't even bother with the Laura Croft stuff & I thought 'Wanted' was one of the worst films ever, so I'd say give 'Salt' a shot. Aside from the absurd thought of reviving the Cold War & a dumb finale, it's at least interesting to watch & figure out.
To Lilithas - don't let your friend watch 'The AMERICAN' - If they were bored by 'Salt', they will lapse into a coma during 'The American'.
Finally, if believability is important to you then how can you say you liked 'Inception'?