Sunday, June 20, 2010

KILLERS

“KILLERS” (Katherine Heigle & Ashton Kutcher)

Odd film in that at times I liked it okay, but then it turned into one of those ridiculous shoot ‘em up flicks where I rolled my eyes so many times I got dizzy.
‘Killers’ has one of those cute premises my wife enjoys more than I – but the two leads, though not what you would call great thespians – can bank on ‘likeability’.
Heigle plays Jen (‘Just’ Jen) a woman who goes on a vacation to Nice, France with her parents after her fiancé dumps her. Mom & Dad are played by Tom Selleck & Katherine O’Hara, another not exceptionally talented, but likeable pair.
In Nice, Jen meets Spencer (Kutcher) who pretends to be unemployed rather than admit that he’s actually a C.I.A. agent. The two exchanged likeable glances & become inseparable.
Spencer’s boss/contact (Martin Mull) isn’t pleased when Spencer announces he’s retiring from the spy game & turns in his license to Hmmm.
The story then jumps ahead 3 years & we see Spencer running his own construction firm & happily living the life of a homebody & friendly neighbor.
All heck breaks loose however when Spencer discovers his ex-boss’s body after receiving a message from him.
I won’t tell you how stupid the story becomes, but it gets REALLY stupid (& predictable)
Still, despite the elongated, dumb finale, it actually wasn’t as bad as I expected –
Kind of like ‘Furry Vengeance’ in that I expected it to be stupid so it wasn’t a big surprise when that’s exactly what it turned out to be.
I guess because there wasn’t anyone who really annoyed me, I’d consider this to be palatable fare. For the most part, the cast did okay with the material they were handed - & it had a decent idea – I mean, to be honest, it’s a (really) dumbed down version of “A History Of Violence” (which I loved) – It’s just the whole car chase scenes where supposedly ‘master’ spies are driving like idiots while firing automatic weapons at each other & hitting everything BUT their targets quickly got ‘old’ the first time I saw it.
But for a semi-likeable stupid romantic comedy, it was ‘okay, I guess’...

3 comments:

blue stater said...

It's not a bad film. Not great either. I'm not really a fan of either of the leads. I thought Knight and Day was better but not by much. Grown Ups was stupid. I laughed two times.

Terry Reid said...

I was able to get out of sitting through 'Knight & Day' by telling my wife that it was just like 'Killers' except with more dumb stunts & car chases!
The fact that these 2 films were released at the same time goes to show how little respect Hollywood has for the American movie going public - & the sad part is - they're right, America loves crap...

No Bad Movies said...

Not to mention all the remakes. Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine.
I can't believe they are remaking Arthur. Some movies should be left alone. And isn't Predator only just a little over 20 years old ? If you want to remake some average movie, be my guest, but leave some of the iconic ones alone and nobody can do Arthur better than Dudley Moore. I have a list of 55 remakes. That's a lot !
At least we are allowed free will still and I don't have to see any of them if I don't want to. I just don't see the point in the first place they almost never better the original.