Friday, April 23, 2010

DEATH AT A FUNERAL (2010) / (2007)

“DEATH AT A FUNERAL (American Version)” (Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence & many more second rate bad actors)

I had to see this just to see what they did with one of the most under-rated comedies in recent filmdom. I didn’t see the point – the British version was the funniest movie of 2007 – why would Chris Rock think that by making it about an American black family would improve it? When it was over, I was asking a different question to Chris – Why in the hell did you take a very funny film & make it as unfunny as you possibly could?
The main reason is the acting – I knew these characters from their British counterparts & they were funny (Only Peter Dinklage reprised his role from the original) - the same lines that were used in the original seemed stilted & forced coming from this cast – which is why I slammed them in the heading.
The most notable being James Marsden playing Oscar. Alan Tudyk in the original was named Simon & he was outstanding in the role – I thought he should have been given a Best Supporting Actor nod in ’07. Marsden just isn’t a very good actor – at least he paled in comparison to Tudyk’s performance.
Danny Glover was fine as cantankerous Uncle Russell, but the rest of the cast was quite bland, especially the horribly miscast Luke Wilson. And Tracy Morgan continues his streak of never having said anything that I found to be remotely humorous. In fact, I so dislike Morgan that when his character, Norman, gets splattered with feces, I was hoping they used actually diarrhea so he really did get a mouthful of s**t...
So if you’re thinking about seeing this because the trailer looked like it might be good – don’t go to the cinema, call around to rental places & ask if they have the British version available & watch that. In laugh-o-meter language, the original scored in the mid-40’s – this one got a 9.


“DEATH AT A FUNERAL” (British Version) A bunch of English actors, Jane Asher & Peter Dinklage.

This starts off ‘veddy’ British; a certain application of snobbery & low-key humor that doesn’t make you laugh as much as grin at how drolly ‘clever’ they are. Then, like that snowball in the opening to Rocky & Bullwinkle it starts to build momentum and when it’s over you realize you’ve just seen the funniest movie of 2007.
Jane Asher’s husband has just passed away; the funeral service is being held in her home where one of her two sons still resides. Daniel(Matthew MacFadyen) is married to Jane (Keeley Hawes) & they are in the process of putting a down payment on their own flat.
Jane’s other son, Robert (Rupert Graves) is a novelist living in New York – he flies in to pay his respects to his departed father.
The movie takes its time introducing the main characters as various Uncles, cousins & well-wishers arrive. Howard & Justin are called at the last second to pick up Uncle Alfie; a crotchety old coot confined to his wheelchair – there is an extremely funny (though somewhat disgusting) scene where poor Howard has to assist Uncle Alfie in getting to the ‘loo’ before he craps his pants.
Niece Martha (Daisy Donovan) with her just turned fiancé Simon (Alan Tudyk, who pulls off the most ‘demanding’ role) stop by to give her brother Troy(Kris Marshall) a ride to the funeral. Troy is studying to be a pharmacist; he has dozens of bottles of pills in his flat. Simon, suffering from a bad headache, brought about by the fact that Martha’s father hates him & will undoubtedly throw a tantrum when she announces their engagement, is given a valium by his bride-to-be.
Later, it is discovered that Troy put LSD tablets in the valium bottle so they would appear to be ‘innocent’ tablets. Sometimes Simon’s bizarre behavior is a little ‘over-the-top’, but most of the time, it is laugh out loud funny.
This gets the snowball rolling, and by the time my favorite ‘height-challenged’ actor, Peter Dinklage arrives at the service asking to have a ‘private’ conversation with Daniel about his ‘relationship’ with his late father – the snowball is unstoppable.
“Death At A Funeral” is dark, silly, subtle, grotesque, far-fetched, believable & uproariously funny – a veritable hodge podge of styles all wrapped into one film.
There is one very predictable scene – you know what’s going to happen when the 2 brothers put what they believe to be their father’s dead gay lover into his coffin with his corpse, but it’s still going to make you laugh when the inevitable pay off comes.
If there’s one drawback to this film, it’s that it has too many characters (& all speaking in that foreign language – English; at times I wished there were subtitles scrolled along the bottom of the screen) But the characters are so well-defined, and expertly portrayed, each with their own ‘quirk’ that they are easy to tell apart.
I did an injustice to the cast with my heading, but the truth is there are so many excellent performances by actors I’ve never seen before, it would take three or four lines to give them their due - &, unless you’re from the UK, I’m guessing you’ve never heard of them either – except Paul McCartney’s ‘Beatle-era girlfriend’, Jane Asher who looks nothing like I remember from the 60’s - & still, even with her wrinkles is much better looking than that one-legged dancing cow he regretfully married & dumped.
“Death At A Funeral” is a smart, offbeat comedy for those of us who don’t find low-rent crap like “I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry” humorous.

4 comments:

movie luva said...

I didn't bother. I own the DVD to the first, and imo, the only one. I for one am so tired of remakes. But this one takes the cake. Usually before they do a remake they give the original some time to breath. The first one is only a few years old. I don't get it.
I laughed when I read in my Variety they were remaking the first Nightmare On Elm Street. The first one is a cult classic, at least when horror films are concerned.
As for this version of DAAF, I decided to skip. Plus, I'm probably in the minority here, but I just don't think Tracy Morgan is funny. Never have. I thought his Brian Fellows skit on SNL was horrid.

blue stater said...

Stupid. Not even half as funny as the first one. And I agree with ML...how come they redid the original so fast ? usually they wait at least 20 years or so to do a remake. The original isn't even five years old yet.

Terry Reid said...

I'm not THAT surprised that someone made an American version of what was a very funny British original, I was more shocked at how bad it was considering the source material. We saw the original, but we are movie geeks & we see a lot of films, the British version didn't exactly conquer the box office in America, so I understood why this remake was rushed. They didn't make it for those of us who had seen & enjoyed the original, they made it for all of those who missed it - to try & cash in on a good script that very few people saw & hopefully cash in on it.
What surprises me the most are the critics who have said that the movie wasn't funny DESPITE a wonderful ensemble cast! I've seen this a few times & I can't understand how anyone could call this a talented group of actors - is it that they're afraid to criticize a mostly black cast?
And don't think for a second that I'm some ranting racist 'tea-bagger', there are numerous black actors that I list among my favorites; Morgan, Samuel L. & Denzel are in my Top 10 - But Chris Rock, though very funny onstage & as a talk show guest, is a terrible actor. & I don't know anyone who thinks Tracy Morgan is funny. & I have never found Martin Lawrence's persona to be all that humorous. Then add on the scraping of the bottom of the barrel for James Marsden & Luke Wilson & you do NOT have a wonderful cast, you have mediocre at best - & to prove my point, the mostly unknown members of the original film played these characters flawlessly & made them 'real'.
As far as the 'Nightmare On Elm Street' remake - It WILL make money, the sheep will go baa, baa, baa all the way to the theatres; Especially if they have Freddy slicing victims up in 3D. & Jackie Earle Hailey isn't a bad call...

dbm said...

I remember going to see the first Death on Terry's positve review. And I liked it a lot. But I have stuck to my mantra of not seeing remakes. They are unnecessary in the first place and 99.9 % of the time aren't as good as the original so what's the point.
Probably the biggest of these remake guffaws is the Elm Street remake. They just re-released the original as a special edition and play the first 3 all the time on cable. This is clearly one that you cannot improve on. The first one is a horror classic. I remember seeing it in the theater and thinking it was pretty innovative for a horror film. And it had a dark feeling to it. No surprise that it's not even recieved a 1% approval rating so far. It's at .09 %. But like Terry said, it WILL make money and since it's a dead weekend, it's going to be the top grosser too.
I always go back to why ? Give us new and interesting topics to see.