Monday, February 15, 2010

DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE MORGANS?

“DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE MORGANS?” (Hugh Grant & Sarah Jessica Parker)
Yes, yes, I know what you’re thinking – this was a bone thrown to my wife for Valentine’s Day – she went to see ‘The Wolfman’ for me, so I suffered thru this for her.
It wasn’t as awful as the trailer made it appear due to one thing – I hadn’t seen Hugh Grant for a while & so his style of comedic acting didn’t bother me that much, in fact, he was clearly the funniest in the cast. SJP, on the hand, simply needs to stop trying to be funny... she isn’t. Nothing she did or said was even smirk-worthy.

Going thru divorce proceedings because he cheated on her, Mr. Morgan (Grant) is trying to get together with his estranged wife (Parker) to beg her forgiveness & to give their marriage a second chance. After agreeing to have dinner with the cad, the Morgans witness a murder & the killer sees that they’ve seen.
The Morgans are put into the Witness Protection Program & are whisked off to Ray, Wyoming where they bunk up with a husband & wife quartet of Marshalls (Sam Shepherd, his moustache, Mary Steenbergen & her annoying voice)
Then everything you expect to have happen happens. The end.
Like I said, Grant saved this from being horrible by delivering a few funny lines, but I wish someone would tell him that by constantly looking away from the person he’s talking to, his style becomes annoying after a while. But for a guy who peaked several years ago with “About A Boy”, Hugh was a welcomed sign of relief in this particularly bad movie... or maybe it was due to the fact that he seemed humorous because Parker was So Not Funny.
What we have here is another fish(es)-out-of-water story where you just wish the fish get flushed down the toilet as quickly as possible, but then some jerk picks them up & throws them back into the aquarium...

2 comments:

dbm said...

No way. I'm totally flabbergasted at this choice. Did you not see that cringe worthy trailer ? I'd see 2012 again for 3 bucks instead of this. I say this because I know you have an high movie IQ. Not to berate you, but this is an all time low for you as far as movie going is concerned. When I pulled your site up to see what you went and saw, I chuckled. Genuinely. I could not imagine you sitting in this. Anyone for that matter. I do give a pat on your back that you had to sit through looking at turkey neck Sarah Jessica Parker too. You are a braver man than me.

movie luva said...

I skipped it. Just looked awful. And I'm with you Terry, SJP is NOT funny. Not a bad dramatic actress, but come on. Stop with the comedy. Grant is a natural who can do both. Much like Gibson. But I avoided this because of who his co star was.