Tuesday, December 29, 2009

BROTHERS

“BROTHERS” (Tobey McGuire, Jake Gyllenhaal & Natalie Portman)

Like the sisters in “Sunshine Cleaning”, I found myself relating to the brothers in this film because they were reminiscent of my own life. But does that make a film better?
I think it helps, but if the story or the acting go astray or hit a sour note somewhere along the line, the likeability can unravel in a moments notice; & I shouldn’t even use the word likeability because at times, not all of these characters are ‘likeable’ - & that’s what makes a human drama great – these people are ‘real’; they have flaws & we get to see what goes on behind the closed doors of their private lives & wonder what we would do in similar circumstances. But they weren't the type of people who were SO annoying that we didn't care about them (as in "Revolutionary Road")
“Brothers” had a lot of positives going for it as the believability of the story held up while we were expected to buy a plot where one brother falls in love with another’s wife & she falls in love with him despite his being an ex-con & the ‘missing’ brother being a great guy & very much loved by ‘everyone’.
Tobey McGuire & Jake Gyllenhaal play the brothers in question – Sam & Tommy Cahill. Natalie Portman plays wife Grace, caught in the middle & encouraged by her two young daughters, Isabel & Maggie.
Sam is a captain in the marines & his father’s pride & joy. Tommy is a loser drunk just released from prison for robbing a bank... If dad hasn’t disowned Tommy at the beginning of this film, he’s one straw away from the proverbial ‘last’ one.
When Tommy shows up at Sam & Grace’s for dinner, daughter Isabel opens the door & instantly reveals that ‘my mommy doesn’t like you’.
When Sam is given orders to go to Afghanistan, the question is asked, ‘how do you tell the bad guys from the good guys?’ Isabel answers that one with ‘the ones with the beards are the bad guys’ & gives a disapproving look at bearded Uncle Tommy.
Sam’s helicopter is shot down & he is presumed dead. Grace tells Tommy this fact when he’s drunk & he gets angry that she didn’t call him sooner.
At the funeral for the fallen soldier, Tommy sits in the second row (not with the immediate family) & is the only one who doesn’t sing along to the religious hymns. But when he sees his father constantly swigging at a flask, Tommy suddenly becomes protective of his nieces & tries to take the old man’s keys away.
Tommy joins 3 friends to start a remodeling business & they start with Grace’s ugly, inconvenient kitchen. I did get a chuckle out of the fact that Tommy’s ‘crew’ never seemed to do any work, just stood around with bottles of beer in their hands.
His nieces warm up to the ‘new’ Uncle Tommy & Grace begins to see him in a new light as well.
In the meantime we are shown that Sam didn’t die in the crash & get to be privy to the tortures he endures at the hands of his Afghani captors. Since it’s in the trailer, I don’t call that fact a ‘spoiler’.
Sam returns to Grace, but an obviously disturbed man with haunting demons that he will never be able to bury – he eyes Tommy’s remodeling job with suspicious eyes.
One of my favorite scenes occurs during Maggie‘s birthday party, when an angry Isabel yells, “You’re just mad because mommy would rather sleep with Uncle Tommy than you!” at her father, that’s when the fireworks begin. Who wins? Who loses? Who lives? Who dies?
That’s what makes this a great film because these characters are so real – with credit being given to both the writer & the actors – that you want them all to ‘live happily ever after’ but there’s no way that’s going to happen . . . or is it?
And the major reason I loved “Brothers” had nothing to do with the adult actors – they are all fine, in fact, I’d say the 3 leads did a fantastic job – but it’s the two young actresses playing Isabel & Maggie (Bailee Madison & Taylor Geare) that elevate this movie to the plateau of a ‘remarkable achievement’. Average kid actors would ruin a film of this sort because the girls (esp. Bailee) are required to ‘become’ their characters & react in a believable way in a make-believe setting instead of just ‘behave like you normally do & just get your lines out’.
The only time I scoffed was at a sign that was shown on a store which read ‘Save Our Fallen Soldiers’ . . . Huh? Then I thought about it & had to nod in approval because that is just the kind of asinine statement some nimrod would display. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sell a ton of bumper stickers with that phrase on them in all the Jerkwater Burgs across the U.S.A....
Loved this movie, it will be in my Top 10 of the year & the actors should all be given high praise & award nominations.

3 comments:

movie luva said...

I couldn't have said it any better. Look at the films most of the critics are panning and then the ones they are liking and I like the movies most of them didn't like. I loved Nine for a pure entertainment aspect. It was the quickest 2 hours that went by that I can remember. DDL was awesome in the role, the gals were just fine. No it's not a perfect film but it was entertaining with lots to look at. They make it out to be like if it's not perfect it's not good at all. They gave Brothers an average score. It's a better than average movie it just is.
If Toby Maguire doesn't get a nomination it's just wrong. If anything at least a supporting nomination from the Oscar's. The film should get in the ten and the writing should be noticed too. But they probably won't. Jim Sheridan is a good story teller. He's done My Left Foot, In The Name Of The Father, In America and now this. He tells believable scenarios. Ones you can relate to.

blue stater said...

Great movie review on Brothers. It's currently in my top 5 but I have several movies to see yet. Seeing It's Complicated, Avatar and Sherlock Holmes this 3 day weekend.
I agree with ML on Nine. My wife made me go see it and I am not a musicals guy ( I heart country music ! ) but that was an easy movie to sit through unless you are gay. I'd bone Sophia Loren now ! Cougar times 3 ! And I am over even thinking that there isn't something Day-Lewis can do.
I expected to hate it and I liked it. Because every review picked it apart that I read I figured I'd pass on it. Then my wife throws Nine in the socket. It's flashy that I can say. Easy to look at. Can't wait for Avatar.
But I was also hesitant on seeing Brothers because of a couple mediocre reviews I read in EW and People. It was a awesome movie and well acted. People that can't like that movie are in a fantasy world. It was realistic.
Again, great and real review. I am going to copy and paste it and put it up in our work lunchroom.

Terry R said...

Thanks for the compliments - & I REALLY appreciate the posting of my review by Blue Stater - That can only help bring people to the site & maybe someday I'll start getting paid for doing this, so thank you so much.
Just one thing though - Did you both like the movie just for the story & acting, or could you relate to the situation at all?
I can forgive someone not 'getting' into a film like 'Brothers' if they were never involved in a family where favoritism was so blantantly shown. & I'm guessing that a lot of
these wooly critics probably WERE the favorites (So they don't see why that's a problem)
You both convinced me to someday check out 'Nine' - I hate musicals so I won't pay to see it, but at least I'll tune in when it comes on one of the movie channels.
Thanks again for the huge compliment, B.S.er & I take back every derogatory thing I've said about Country music fans...