Tuesday, September 22, 2009

LOVE HAPPENS

“LOVE HAPPENS” (Aaron Eckhart & Jennifer Aniston)

The character Aaron Eckhart played in ‘Thank You for Smoking’ would have kicked ‘Love Happens’ Burke Ryan’s ass. Unfortunately, Burke (also played by Eckhart) doesn’t get his ass kicked though I kept hoping his Ex-Marine Father-In-Law (Martin Sheen) was going to show up & do just that – Instead, the one time Jarhead shows up & starts weeping like a 6 year old girl who just had her pigtails pulled by the class pigtail puller... That’s not to say this movie totally sucks – In fact, if promoted properly this film would be receiving a more favorable review, but I don’t see how anyone that bought tickets for this ‘Romantic Comedy’ on opening weekend could walk out of the theatre feeling anything but confused on how it was marketed. First, there’s the light & breezy title; which sounds like the theme song should be sung by Peter Cetera(or someone equally wimpy) Like the promos, it is misleading – the storyline has virtually nothing to do with ‘love’ or how it ‘happens’ - I thought of 2 more suitable titles; “Death Becomes Him” or “Sham Wow!” - because this film is about a man (Eckhart’s Burke Ryan) who uses his wife’s death to scam people that have recently lost a loved one due to tragic circumstances. Burke is one of the most unlikable people you’d ever want to meet, & yet those responsible for the writing & creation of this movie expect audiences to root for him to succeed in finding happiness with Seattle flower shop owner Eloise (Jennifer Aniston) I guess by promoting the film as a ‘romantic comedy’ & using the sappy title ‘Love Happens’ they figure they’d bring in the classic chick flick crowd & they would look past Burke’s obvious disgusting flaw & just go “Aww, the poor man lost his wife & Jennifer is just too adorable for words, I sure hope they end up together – that would be sooo sweet!”
If I reveal too much about the plot in this review, well, tough – if you’re thinking about seeing this tearjerking weeper, at least I’m giving you a realistic viewpoint on what to expect.
Now the older couple that sat in front of us, laughed & clapped their way thru this from start to finish, so they were ‘getting’ the jokes that apparently were escaping me. But this film is about as comedic as ‘7 Pounds’, ‘Atonement’ or ‘I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry’.
However, as J.K. Simmons made ‘Extract’ likable, John Carrol Lynch saves ‘Death Becomes Him’ with a marvelous performance as Walter from Billings, Montana.
I guess I’d better expand on the plot so you understand why Walter saves this from being a complete failure.
After losing his wife in an automobile accident(3 years prior) Burke writes a book called “A-Okay” about coping with the loss – it becomes a best seller & Burke’s sleazy agent (Dan Fogler) decides he should give seminars to cash in on the book’s popularity. Seattle is one of the stops booked for the scam, er, I mean seminar & it just so happens to be where Mrs. Ryan was killed. The dupes, er, I mean audience that pay for the seminar are mostly made up of senile old women & assorted dimwits eager to part with their money for a ‘get well quick’ scheme after losing someone tragically – with the exception of Walter who tells Burke he was coerced by his sister to attend. Walter has lost someone special as well, but he’s smart enough to realize that Burke is just out to make a buck & immediately asks for his money back – con artist Burke knows exactly how to play Walter & talks him into ‘hanging in there’. When Walter refuses to go along with a hokey confidence building routine, I found someone I could relate to. Early on, Burke takes the group of misfits to the roof of a Seattle skyscraper – I remember thinking, even in those early stages, that if these people were smart, they’d all jump off the side of the building & put themselves out of their collective miseries... (Spoiler Alert - they don’t)
I suppose you’re wondering where co-star Jennifer Aniston fits in? Well, that’s another problem with this film – she doesn’t – or I should say – she shouldn’t. This film should have been about redemption; Burke’s & Walter’s – it would have been an improvement.
& I’m not saying Jennifer is awful – she does well in this role & the material/dialogue she’s given. She doesn’t have great acting chops, but she’s just so darn cute & cuddly she’s hard not to like. When she feigns being deaf in order to reject Burke’s initial ‘come-on’, I thought that was clever. Until the a—hole discovers he was duped & confronts her for stooping so low as to pretend to be handicapped just to get out of having a conversation with a fellow human being. I hated to admit it, but the jerk was right; thus spoiling the first light-hearted moment of this dreary tale.
As much as I disliked Burke & this film in general – the damn thing did eventually win me over (But you weren’t expecting that line, were you?) & once again, I can’t tell you why I ended up liking the film because that would be an actual spoiler, giving you no reason to see it yourself. Let me just say that Walter’s story was the backbone & the fact that Eloise’s tight jeans kept my interest peaked (& Eloise wears those jeans throughout the entire movie) Although they lost me momentarily with a moronic, contrived attempt at comedy with the Rocky the cockatiel routine, even that stupid moment had a nice payoff in the end. So what can I tell you?
I hated ‘Love Happens’ for better than 3/4ths of the film & then it turned my disgruntled frown into a satisfied smirk proving yet again, it is better to have a welcomed ending than it is to get off to a great start & then fizzle out. Just know that ‘Death Becomes Him’ (AKA ‘Love Happens’) is NOT a romantic comedy.

3 comments:

movie luva said...

I usually do not mind the occasional romantic comedy but I didn't feel very much romance or comedy from this film.

It seemed phony from the start and it was dull. There is no chemistry between the two leads, but the second " supposed " lead is actually a supporting character to be honest. Then what really made no sense is when she acts like she can't hear him because she's deaf. Are you KIDDING me ?! First, any woman who would do that is as about as phony as the guy who is a faux self help guru. So she's not worthy of being pursued. Then, what man with any sack would follow a woman who would do that to him in the first place ? If I was a guy, after I found some woman was faking like she was deaf, I wouldn't have thought about her twice. I would have been outta there ! I know it's the movies and you are supposed to " go along ", but you could almost tell this movie was made by a first time filmmaker. There are way too many mistakes. The Home Depot scene is out of nowhere and doesn't fit. As I said the chemistry between Aniston and Eckhart just isn't believable ( as with most of her co- stars as of late-what's up with that ? ) and they totally under develop her character. They have her bounce around, all over the place, doing things and you really never get to know her. She comes in and out, like " who is this person ? "

But... when I looked up the filmmaker and found out he was a first timer, I can make my complaints and then move on and not hold it against him as every filmmaker has done their first movie. Here's hoping the next one he does he fleshes out character's so you get to know them more. I wanted to know more about 4 people, and didn't get it. To put out better storyline isn't so shallow and flippant also. The premise to the movie has big up potential. Plus, I may be in the minority, but I have lately wondered about Jennifer's enthusiasm for the projects she is doing. The last few, she doesn't seem connected " or there ". Like reading lines and moving on. She showed much more ability in The Good Girl, Office Space and The Object Of My Affection.

Terry R said...

Can't really argue with you, m-l.
Except I thought the Home Depot worked because 'Walter' was the only character I cared about.
As far as Jennifer goes, I guess I can forgive her acting flaws because I just like her as a person (I'd never seen a famous actress as comfortable as she was with Chelsea Handler)
On the other hand, I don't 'get' the love for 'The Good Girl' - I thought that film (& Jennifer) was boring! & I also don't understand the negative comments she received for 'Marley & Me'; the dog was ths star & Owen Wilson was the dog's co-star - for what Jennifer was asked to do, she did well.
Yes, she gets by an her persona; she uses the same little facial ticks in almost every movie she's in, but at least she's easy to like. All during that interview on Chelsea Lately I kept thinking, why would Brad dump her for that nutjob Angelina? Mindboggling to say the least.

dbm said...

OK, so you saw The Informant ! and The Invention Of Lying. Lets see what you have to say ?

I missed this one. Anniston is nice to look at still, but her acting ( or lack there of ) has made me not interested in seeing her movies. I would like to see her do something you wouldn't expect. Do a psycho evil role. Like Close did with FA. Or change the way you look now and then, like Theron did in Monster. She is always just Rachel from Friends in a different movie. I think Jennifer has it in her, she just chooses to not challenge herself. It got old for me fast. Or take some time off, she puts out movies one after the other, every 3 months. How about her next one The Batser ? Like the kids are saying... OMG ! Another sleep walking role. Then the one with Terry' favorite actor, with Gerard Butler. I bet right now it's a Snoozer.
I liked her In The Good Girl and Office Space because she played someone that wasn't like Rachel. She had to go out of her comfort zone to play those character's. Now she is just doing very easy work. Look at Penn and Day-Lewis just for examples ( they are the only ones ). Penn actually looked and seemed genuinely gay in Milk. His turn in TAO Richard Nixon I lost the actor in that role. DDL is going to sing and dance in his next movie. He became Daniel Plainview, Christy Brown Gerry Conlon and Bill The Butcher. Hey take chances. She'd get a lot more credit as an actress if she tried new and different things from time to time.