Tuesday, September 15, 2009

EXTRACT

“EXTRACT” (Jason Bateman, Mila Kunis, Ben Affleck J.K. Simmons &
Clifton Collins, Jr.)

Why would someone who hated ‘Beavis & Butthead’ & can’t stand ‘King Of The Hill’ go to a movie written & directed by Mike Judge? The answer is simple – the alternative was “All About Steve”.
My reason for choosing ‘Extract’ was simple – If I’m going to be insulted by dumbed-down comedy, I'd rather look at the exceptionally hot Mila Kunis instead of the over-the-hill Sandra Bullock.
When I saw Mila in ‘Forgetting Sarah Marshall’ I was stunned at how attractive she was. I tuned into a ‘That 70’s Show’ rerun to see how I could have missed such a gorgeous female & didn’t find her overwhelmingly pulchritudinous. Was it the transference of her beautiful brown eyes to the big screen that did it – or did she simply grow up & blossom since the series ended? Either way, Mila has now become one of those actresses I will pay money to see in a film simply because she is so adorable she’s worth the price of admission alone. Plus, she shows a bit of range in her role here by playing the ‘bad girl’ that preys on the type of losers that appear in Mike Judge productions.

So how bad was ‘Extract’? Well, thanks to J.K. Simmons it earned an 18.5 on the laugh-o-meter, making it a mild surprise.

The plot revolves around Jason Bateman’s character, Joel, who runs a company that produces various ‘extract’ flavors. Ben Affleck plays his best friend Dean. J.K. Simmons is Brian (Co-owner of the company, I believe – or his manager) Clifton Collins, Jr. is ‘Step’ an employee. Kristen Wiig plays his frigid wife, Suzie, and David Koechner his annoying next door neighbor.
An accident at the factory leaves Step with only one testicle & that’s where con artist Cindy (Mila) comes in. Cindy seduces Step as he recovers, talking him into suing Joel & the plant. She then takes a job at the plant & comes on to Joel.
There’s your basic plot & character list; now, what made this film work was Brian. When J.K. Simmons gets the right role he can steal a movie with one scene (As he did at the end of ‘Burn After Reading”) Here he does it with his flawless delivery of calling every employee at the plant ‘Dinkus’ (Except when referring to ‘Boy Genius’)
I anticipated every scene involving Brian & that alone makes this a film worthy of viewing.
Because of the lack of attention he gets from his wife, Joel starts planning ways of seducing the new girl, Cindy; to make this acceptable to Joel, his friend Dean tells him to hire a male gigolo to seduce Suzie, so he can have an affair with Cindy as an act of revenge.
As you can see, ‘Extract’ isn’t your run of the mill comedy & for that, Judge is to be commended. The characters are both unique, yet mainstream (if that makes sense) In other words, they have quirks, but are relatable – You should recognize these Dinkus’s from your own life, be they co-workers, family or friends (Or that ‘Boy Genius’ friend of a friend you’re acquainted with)
There is one exception to the ‘pleasant surprise’ of this film & that is the unfortunate inclusion of Gene Simmons as shyster lawyer Joe Adler... I couldn’t really tell you which annoyed me more – the fact that ‘this’ Simmons simply can’t act – or the fact that he looks like he’s made of plastic. Stay in the realm of ‘reality TV’ Gene, you’re annoying enough just being yourself – Oh, & good luck selling all those Kiss coffins...

3 comments:

dbm said...

I could have taken it or left it. I didn't really think it sucked nor was it in the realm of The Hangover or Tropic Thunder. Middle of the road comedy with a few laughs and JK Simmons once again stealing another movie as he did in OZ, Juno, Burn After Reading and probably more.
There are two Judge movies I think are were worthy of mention. Office Space, which now has become a cult classic ( and the best roles that Stephen Root as degruntled nerd Milton and Ron Livingston as Peter have ever done ) and I thought Idiocracy wasn't that bad. That actually kind of had an original premise where as time goes on, many years in the future people are as dumb as rocks and Luke Wilson is thawed out from being frozen by scientists and now is looked upon as the smartest man on the planet.
I agree with you on Kunis. You can catch her in the next Denzel, The Road type premise, The Book Od Eli. I will catch that but I'm skipping Max Payne. Even her beauty couldn't tempt me enough to see that.

movie luva said...

I thought this movie was pretty funny. JK is becoming the JT Walsh of this decade. Best character actor around like JT was.

Ditto on the Office Space shout out. I could watch that movie a few times a year. I worked in an office environment with clueless people and bosses for a decade before I went into biz for myself and I really related to that movie. How many people would have loved to have acted the way Peter does at work ? Just show up and don't do anything right in front of your boss face ! And Gary Cole plays the weasely Manager great as well.

Haven't seen Idiocracy yet.

Terry R said...

If you liked 'Napoleon Dynamite' & extremely dumb crap like that, you'll like 'Idiocracy'. Dbm gives it a 'wasn't that bad' - which means 'it sucks, but I'm not as
critical as Tdr so I won't come right out & say that it sucks like he would'.
I don't understand the love for 'Office Space' myself (Perhaps
because I've never worked in an office) I'll give IT the label 'wasn't that bad' because it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't great either. I'm not saying those of you who worship it are misguided, it's more that you can relate to it & I can't.
The other JK Simmons role I liked was from the much maligned "Ladykillers" as the explosives expert that blows his thumb off while demonstrating how safe it is to whack plastic explosives with a hammer.
& on Mila - I'm hoping to see her in something good - 'Extract' was all right, but 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' was forgettable. I don't want her to turn into another Scarlett Johanson by relying on her looks for a career instead of learning how to act & become that rarity of beauty & talent...