Saturday, January 24, 2009

REVOLUTIONARY ROAD

“REVOLUTIONARY ROAD” (Leonardo DiCaprio & Kate Winslet)

You know how when you barf into your mouth unexpectedly and you don’t want to swallow it because you know it will burn & leave your throat feeling raw so you hold it in your mouth, becoming even more ill as you feel the chunks of vomit on your tongue while you frantically search for somewhere to spit up? That’s what watching “Revolutionary Road” is like... maybe even worse.
Leo & Kate play Frank & April Wheeler & right from the git go, I hated them. I’ll just roll thru the notes I took while watching this fun loving couple.
At first I noted that April was a total bitch & Frank was an idiot for staying with her.
Then Frank became a complete bastard & I realized that these two deserved each other.
I then wrote that there must be a law that every man in town must wear a hat, as every single male wore one & they were all the same style (Fedoras, I believe, but never being a hat wearer don’t hold me to that) Obviously the law lapsed during lunch time as none of the men wore a hat in the restaurant scene. Then we see the men marching back to their workplace with hats on. I wondered why I would notice something as mundane as headgear & it dawned on me – I hate these people - I don’t want to be around them & I wish they would both just go away.
In an early scene, Kate’s April is acting in a play & at one point a woman seated behind Frank comments on what a terrible actress April is & I found myself nodding in agreement. I know I’m in the minority on Kate Winslet’s ‘style’ of acting, but I just see a bad actress ‘reciting’ her lines, where Hollywood (& Movieluva) see greatness. DiCaprio does a decent job here, along with Kathy Bates (As the realtor that finds them the house on Revolutionary Rd) In fact, most of the cast performs well; Michael Shannon stands out, but he also has the luxury of playing the only intriguing character. Downside – he only has 2 scenes.
In the first 10 minutes we witness an angry, childish, nearly violent argument between Frank & April – then a flashback to their first meeting; but who cares, we already know these two people don’t like each other now, what’s the point in showing us that when they first met they could tolerate one another? I think we already surmised that by the fact that they were Mr. & Mrs. Wheeler. Then, right around the 10 minute mark, we see Frank take a cute secretary out for lunch, get her drunk & have sex with her. The secretary, despite knowing she was ‘used’ by Frank as a birthday present to himself, seems to like him anyway. This leads to the question – why not divorce the bitch & start over with the (very) friendly secretary?
This would have also saved us from having to listen to April spout such ridiculous lines as, “No one knows the truth, they just get better at lying!”
There were a few chuckle-able lines that were meant to be taken seriously in this film, but that’s the only one I wrote down...
What saves this from being possibly the worst movie ever made is Michael Shannon’s John – the only character I could relate to – the fact that John was recently released from a mental institution means two things 1) John at least has an excuse for behaving unruly & obnoxious; & 2) The fact that I could relate to him means I shouldn’t be allowed out in public. John’s two scenes offset the ‘hopeless emptiness’ of the rest of the film; ‘Hopeless emptiness’ being Frank’s words to describe his & April’s life together & we, the lucky audience, get to dwell in this hopeless emptiness for over 2 hours. To further drive the point home, after April tells Frank she hates & loathes him, he calls her ‘an empty hopeless shell of a woman’; thus changing their relationship from hopeless emptiness into empty hopelessness. It’s a subtle change & you really have to be paying close attention to notice the difference.
Over halfway through this disaster movie, Frank pleads, “April we CAN be happy here.”
. . . HUH? This ‘Match made in Hades’ couple haven’t been happy since the day they met & all of a sudden Frank thinks the wicked witch is going to suddenly become cheerful?
The whole plot that supposedly keeps them together is a pipe dream about moving to Paris so April can work in an embassy & Frank can ‘find himself’ as soon as he learns to speak French. Since we never hear him utter a single ‘oui’, it isn’t difficult to figure out that the move to Europe probably won’t happen. Speaking of Hades, if there IS a hell, I’d bet everything I have that Satan already has this film on an endless loop playing in his realm (Sans the 2 scenes with Michael Shannon, of course! ‘Sans’ – it’s a French word, Frank, look it up in that dictionary you keep ignoring)
When Frank & April aren’t being uber-annoying, they’re as boring as watching a senior citizen fall asleep while watching a ‘Golden Girls’ rerun.
I won’t spoil the ending by revealing what happens - just know that my only concern was how difficult it was going to be to clean the carpet...
At one point an elderly man gradually turns his hearing aid down until there is complete silence . . . oh, if only he had done that 2 hours earlier, I’d have been so grateful, I would have offered to change the old coot’s diaper!
To borrow from the title of an old Gene Wilder/Donald Sutherland flick – Start THIS ‘Revolution’ Without Me . . .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew you wouldn't like it. It was a painful watch to say the least ! You know what's trippy though, is it's well acted. I think that's the deepest you have ever seen Leonardo go into a character. But good lord, I was waiting for something nice, happy or funny to come along.
My technical eye did catch some positives though. The cinematography was good, but that shouldn't be of no surprise because it was " The Deak " that lensed it.
I don't see how, though, it recieved a costume nomination and Changeling didn't. I thought Changeling's costumes were very authentic to the time and period.
Yes, RR is a gut buster. You just want someone to leave and pick it up from there. It's just agonizing and more agonizing, I couldn't take it. I was hoping Michael Shannon would just lose it and take everybody out of their misery ( Ha ! )

Anonymous said...

Well, I did find Michael Shannon's John to be quite funny - His two scenes were great.
I guess they got a costume nomination because EVERYONE wore the same hat!
You call it a 'gut buster' - that's a term I normally associate with 'laughter' - could you
elaborate on what you mean when you say 'RR is a gut buster'? I'd use the phrase stomach churner, myself...
& yes, I really wanted John to kill them both & then have the rest of the movie be about him!

Anonymous said...

We just use different terminology. I meant gut buster like you are about to puke.
You know when Revolutionay Road would have been revolutionary, if they made the film a year after the book came out. At that time there had been nothing like it. It would have seemed edgey and groundbreaking material. It would have been done before Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolfe.
But there have been a ton of depressing films since then, so this movie suffers from the start just by the basic premise of the story.
I think it could have been a good film had the screenwrtier and Sam Mendes agreed to change some things to lighten the load. Dare I say add some comedic moments ? Anything but keep it drone on the entire movie the way it did. The people involved in making the film were far too better at their talent than to come up with that.

Anonymous said...

God, this movie could have been so much better. The writing should have changed from the novel. People just don't like movies like these. There is nothing positive about them. They don't do anything to change their lives or the way they feel, but just bitch and moan all of the time. I had a kink in my neck by the time this movie was over !

Anonymous said...

Seems everyone is in agreement on this one, even the snooty critics. What a lame flick. Terrible story. Like the other person said, the adapter should have just made it a whole new movie with a better storyline. I mean you could still have them in agony at the begining, but change it up instead of being such a buzz killer the whole time. You could just imagine Michael Shannon pulling out an Uzi and blowing everyone away !

My Oscar prediction's are up at my site. oscartracker.blogspot.com.

Anonymous said...

I'd say 'We' are all agreed that its a stinker of a film, but from what I saw a lot of critics lauded it as 'Best Picture' material & I heard some howling when it wasn't nominated, as well as Kate & Leo.
I guess use non-professional critics hated it while it was just the type of boring crap the snooty paid critics adore.
If they'd just had more scenes of Frank & April's early relationship - show us that at one time they were a happy couple, that would have lightened the load & then we have the contrast - wow, they were so much in love once & NOW look at them. But when the film opens with an explosive argument & THAT winds up being the closest the 2 leads ever get to one another - it just made for a depressing 2 hours. A simple solution also would have been to include more scenes with John(Michael Shannon) & indeed, have him do us all the favor of putting the Wheelers out of our misery...

Lilithas said...

Oh THANK GOD. I was actually going to leave a comment somewhere and ask you to review this, Terry (and then I noticed you had), because I wanted to know what other people thought, but then I was worried you would write this great review and I'd be left wondering why I was failing to see the point of this movie. I was reading some of the user comments on IMDB and apparently loads of people enjoyed it.

I HATED it. The entire movie I was wondering when it would end. And then I see people coming out going, "Oh my God, what a touching film, what a great way to show people the value of life." And I'm like, "Were we watching the same movie??"

Terry R said...

If I heard someone calling 'Revolutionary Road' a
touching' film, I don't think I could contain myself, I would have had to say, "Don't you mean pathetic?"