Thursday, January 6, 2011

The KING'S SPEECH

“The KING’S SPEECH” (Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush & Helena Bonham Carter)

When I first heard about this film (from dbm) I thought it would be the type of ‘art house’ rubbish that apparently I can’t stand (according to movie luva)
In some ways it is that – any story involving Britain’s royal family is going to be snobbish, there’s no way around it – and in the beginning I didn’t like Helena Bonham Carter’s Duchess of York, nor Colin Firth’s Duke. They thought they were better than everyone else. ‘Common’ people shouldn’t even be allowed to gaze upon them, let alone associate with someone of their superior bloodline. So when Elizabeth (Bonham Carter) engages Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush) to be her husband’s speech therapist and help to cure his stuttering problem, she acts as though Mr. Logue should be honored to help a member of the royal family and not expect to be paid for his efforts. I sneered at her every time she stuck her snooty nose in the air as though Lionel’s abode had a distasteful odor that her pristine nostrils shouldn’t have to inhale. I then prepared myself to dislike this film as much as I disliked the Duchess.
Then Colin Firth appears as the Duke, second son of King George V and he’s an even bigger snob than his stuck-up wife... until he speaks. ‘Bertie’ (as Lionel calls him, much to his dismay) has a very pronounced stutter. “Know any jokes?” Lionel asks.
“T-t-t-timing isn’t my s-strong s-s-suit,” the Duke replies. Suddenly, the Duke appears human and almost likable.
That’s what separates ‘The King’s Speech’ from other ‘historical’ films involving the Royal family – it has a very pronounced sense of humor – One might even call it a snob/com.
Lionel bets the Duke that he can have him reciting Shakespeare without stammering during their first lesson. He hands his royal highness a copy of ‘Hamlet’ (Piglet’s father) and then places a set of headphones upon the Duke’s head with loud orchestral music playing.
“I can’t hear a bloody word I’m saying!” Bertie yells.
“Surely a Prince’s brain knows what its mouth is doing?” Lionel asks.
“You’re obviously not well acquainted with Princes, are you?” the Prince smirks.
Firth and Rush are outstanding; especially Colin as the stuttering ‘man who would be king’ – they play off of one another effortlessly. When the future King tells Logue he’s ‘peculiar’ – Lionel responds, “I’ll take that as a compliment.”
This film works because the ‘common’ speech therapist doesn’t accept that members of the royal family are any better than anyone else – Yet, at the same time, he WANTS to help the Duke conquer his impediment because that is what he’s paid to do.
Slowly, begrudgingly, ‘Bertie’ sees that Lionel is not only an excellent speech therapist, but an advantageous advisor as well – Did the royal family begin to lose a bit of that snootiness because King George VI brought Lionel Logue into the palace to guide him through his many speeches during WWII?
Sure, it’s reminiscent of ‘Driving Miss Daisy’ in storyline, but that film overcame its title character’s prejudice to make her lovable as well.
My complaints are few and miniscule; Guy Pearce seemed quite bland as King George V’s eldest son who gives up the throne after his father’s death to marry a divorced American woman (Gasp!) For all the controversy surrounding King Edward’s promiscuous behavior which leads to his abdicating of the throne, Pearce didn’t play the role with any pizzazz. And Timothy Spall played Winston Churchill like he was channeling the ghost of Alfred Hitchcock instead. I kept waiting for him to drawl, “Good evening...”
Yes, the critic that hates ‘art house’ movies found one he enjoyed thoroughly in ‘The King’s Speech’ and the chief reason is the humor.
I have been accused lately of not liking the movies that EVERYONE else likes.
I recently read a list of the top grossing films of 2010 & yes, I thought most of them were junk – I don’t see how anyone could think that ‘Toy Story 3’ is a better cartoon than “Despicable Me’, but I guess that’s what separates me from the sheep.
It wasn’t my idea to start writing movie reviews – I was asked to do it at the radio station I once worked for to simply add a little substance to the station’s website. From the beginning I said that I wasn’t a professional critic – I’m a normal movie fan that isn’t going to favor foreign films or stuffy crap that usually wins Oscars (Hoity Toity art house flicks and those dreadful musicals) I wanted to write for the ‘commoner’ – to give an honest opinion on the types of movies we regular schmucks go to see. Along the way I’ve been enticed to see films that I normally would avoid because ‘someone’ wants to see what I would write about it (thank goodness I never gave in & paid money to see ‘Borat’)
But I have learned that I’m not a commoner; Commoners like car chases & explosions & movies that look keen. So instead I present my thoughts using my own unique niche (I hope) and even though you may totally disagree with what I’ve said about a film you enjoyed, you still came to this blog to see what I had to say about it because you’re not going to get your run-of-the-mill review. I appreciate comments from my regulars and encourage anyone that hasn’t added their opinion to please do so.
Movie Luva is probably my favorite because she has on more than one occasion said that she went to see a film based on what I had written about it (& enjoyed them)
So I have a question for her – You wrote that you knew if I went to see ‘Black Swan’ that I wouldn’t like it – Did you think that I would love ‘The King’s Speech’? Because, until I saw the trailer, I had no interest in it whatsoever – Now, I hope it wins Best Picture. Because it’s the only one being touted as a contender that I liked; along with ‘The Fighter’ – but I was more impressed with Christian Bale’s acting than I was in the overall film. And I would be shocked if Colin Firth doesn’t win for Best Actor & Geoffrey Rush should finish second (behind Bale) for Supporting Actor. So, M. L., did you see THAT coming?

5 comments:

dbm said...

I think Bonham-Carter is a pretty safe in supporting actress as well.
I was real surprised at how much I liked this movie. From theoutside it's not a premise or stopry that I find all that interesting, but tt's very well written and the chemsitry between Firth and Rush is seamless.
If I had to place a bet, I would think TKS is a more Oscar friendly film than The Social Network. I liked TSN but not as much as so many people that are ranking it the best of the year. Most people think it's a lock to win the Oscar, but I see TKS is that right kind of movie that voters like to get behind.
But then again maybe one film will cancel them both out, like Crash did that one year. Maybe The Fighter or True Grit will come away witht the win. I just think The King's Speech more an Oscar type film.

movie luva said...

Nice review ! Glad you liked the film. It's a very good movie. I personally think this is going to be the Oscar winner. I don't see the stuffy voting academy picking the facebook film. But who knows, crazier things have happened. Maybe they pick the facebook movie to try to come across as relevent and hip. It sure is winning tons of pre-Oscar awards.

Anyway... did anyone else kind of get a feeling that Lionel wasn't the least bit intimidated of his surroundings and that he may have very slightly, subtlely bullying Bertie around a bit ? Maybe it's just me.

I think the best actor race is neck and neck between Firth and James Franco. 127 Hours is Franco's best of his career. He really elevated his acting game for that film. But I'm sure there is a betting line somewhere in Las Vegas and if there is, most likely you'd see Firth as the favorite.

How many Oscar nominations do I predict for The King's Speech ? I see it getting 8.

Terry Reid said...

When I wasn't going to see a film every weekend I was pretty good at predicting what nominated film would win Best Picture -'Braveheart' comes to mind because I predicted that win 'on the air' at KJR (when asked by Mitch in the Mid-day) I had not seen the film but I made my bold prediction because it was the only nominee that could be called an 'epic'
& "Hollywood loves epics."
But lately non-epics are getting the Oscar votes, so it's hard to tell if a quality film like 'The King's Speech' will win. It should.
As far as acting goes, if James Franco is Colin Firth's chief competition - the Englishman wins hands down. Franco shouldn't even be mentioned as a nominee as far as I'm concerned. As I asked in my review, how was Franco even challenged as an actor in '127 Hours'? Firth had to not only stay in character of a rather complexed man, but also had to speak in an entirely different voice from his own. Last year I felt Colin was vastly over-rated for 'A Single Man' - this year - he's the runaway winner. I don't see anyone coming close to him. He was perfect.
On the film, Lionel definitely bullied Bertie and I think he did it for two reasons - one, once he started & got away with it, it became too enjoyable to stop - even when Bertie became King George VI when he sat on the 'historical' throne as though it were a bean bag chair. & 2, Bertie wasn't going to listen to him or do what he was told if Lionel didn't 'take charge' & not only treat him as an equal, but even degrade him once in a while. It was a great pairing of characters and actors that elevated the film to greatness.
It wins Best Actor for sure; hopefully Best Picture & a nomination for Rush in Supporting actor & probably Bonham Carter for Supporting Actress because that category is always the weakest & she was good in the role. I just think it's a shame that Anne-Marie Duff isn't even being mentioned for 'Nowhere Boy' when her's was the best supporting performance I've seen by an actress in years...

Alan Smithee said...

I liked this movie and admired the acting. Firth, Rush, and Bonham-Carter deserve the accolades posted above.

The story itself is a twice-told tale. I could liken it to "The Miracle Worker," "Brian's Song," "Sunrise at Campobello" [not tobe confused with "127 Hours," a. k. a., "Sunrise at Camp O'Smello"], and other Challenge-Conflict-Consummation plots.

The film was too long for my taste. Not enough happened or could happen. That won't slow down the academy.

The best part of the film for me was that I saw it at Tacoma's Grand Cinema. The geriatric set saw it at the same time, so numerous duffers entertained me by speaking too loudly amid the movie. They were so over the top that I chuckled throughout the film.

Terry R said...

Only Tacoma would name a theatre, that is basically the 'trailer park' of cinemas, the 'Grand'. On those rare occasions I've subjected myself to visiting the cinematic slum that is Le Grand, I've sat in a seat that reclined (It wasn't suppose to) & creaked so loudly whenever I shifted that I was afraid to move - Dying of thirst, yet knowing if I reached for my soda the likelihood that the noise emitted would result in angry glares from my fellow audience members, most of whom I would suspect were Tacomanarians and KNEW how to sit in rickety seats without raising a ruckus, I deprived myself of quenching my thirst until I just couldn't help myself, my throat needed to be slaked and so began the arduous task of reaching for & extracting my Diet coke from the cupholder only to have it crumble in my grasp since the container was made of local paper not the firmer foreign variety. Not that seeing a film at Le Grand isn't a quaint, rustic experience, but the last film I remember seeing there was 'Margot At The Wedding' so the creaky chair & mushy soda cup were the least of my problems.
I bring this up because the quality film 'The King's Speech' was playing at several decent theatres that would contain comfortable seating and fewer octogenarians speaking loud enough so that everyone in the cinema could eavesdrop on their conversation (whether they wanted to or not) since most modern theatres have more than 21 seats (Unlike Le Grand)
I understand Mr. Smithee lives in TackyTown so the shorter drive came into play in his decision, but you save The Grand for crap like '127 Hours' - where you would welcome the ramblings of the aged patrons; "So, it looks like he's stuck there, eh?" "Yep, that's what it looks like to me too!" . . . "So, he's still stuck under that rock, eh?" "Yep, he's still stuck there all right!"
"Think he'll ever get out?"
"I don't know, Barney, I guess we'll just have to keep on watching to find that out!" . . . "You know, it's been so long now, I've forgotten how he got stuck in the first place, do you remember?" "No, Barney. No, I don't."