Thursday, October 28, 2010

HEREAFTER

“HEREAFTER” (Matt Damon & Cecile De France)

I’ve enjoyed Clint Eastwood more as a director than an actor. In other words, I like elderly Clint much more than Spaghetti Western Dirty Harry With An Orangutan Clint. His first match-up with Matt Damon was the rather disappointing ‘Invictus’, but ‘Mystic River’, ‘Gran Torino’ & ‘Million Dollar Baby’ are among may favorite films of the 21st century. I guess I’m setting this up because I have mixed feelings about ‘Hereafter’; parts of it I liked - parts of it I did not.
I don’t believe in a ‘hereafter’, but I do enjoy a good fantasy tale if woven intelligently. ‘Hereafter’ is woven intelligently but that doesn’t mean it works in every aspect.
Time for another set up; I don’t go to the movies to read. I read in bed to prep my mind before attempting to shut it off. So when a film forces me to read the dialogue, my brain thinks it’s sleepy-by time & starts to doze off.
Warning – 1/3rd of ‘Hereafter’ is in French & 1/3rd of it is in that ‘Cockney’ British language – they provided subtitles for the French third / none for the Cockney.
Now, to the actual film. It opens with a fairly impressive tsunami sequence which makes you think you’re about to see another '2012'. I remember thinking, “I never expected to see anything like this in a Clint Eastwood film”.
Marie Lelay (Cecile De France) a French woman on vacation with her boyfriend/boss is swept away by the catastrophic waves and drowns. So much for Marie’s segment.
George Lonnegan (Matt Damon) is a construction worker who looks a little too clean & polished to be an actual construction worker. That’s because George is trying to lead a normal life after spending too much of it contacting dead people... Think of George as Haley Joel Osment from the ‘Sixth Sense’ all grown up. 2 TV actors show up at George’s doorstep (Jay Mohr & Richard Kind) George’s brother, Billy (Mohr) begs him to give the guy who’s had to settle for a career in commercials a break by contacting his dead wife.
The third plot is set in England where young twin brothers Marcus & Jason (Frankie & George McLaren) ‘care’ for their drug addicted mother by trying to keep Child Protection Service workers from removing from the hubble that passes for the apartment they live in. Death pays a visit to the twins as well, thus setting up the trilogy of stories that take place simultaneously during ‘Hereafter’.
The part that didn’t capture my interest at all is the one with the most intriguing opening; after Marie’s near-death experience she decides to write a book about it that no one seems to be interested in. I don’t blame them, this segment is what causes the story to drag.
The one I liked the best throughout most of the film was George’s (Maybe due to the fact that it was the only one I could understand, thanks to the characters speaking in American) But no, it wasn’t just that - I was extremely impressed with the pairing of Damon with Bryce Dallas Howard – two actors that I never would have called ‘impressive’ prior to this. Adequate, competent, but not ‘great’. Their chemistry sparkled in every scene they were in and I had never seen Howard more relaxed and natural in any previous role.
George meets Melanie at cooking class where the teacher (‘The Sopranos’ Steve Shirripa) matches them as class partners. When Melanie turns to shake George’s hand, he pretends not to notice the move since touching someone’s hands is how George makes a connection to their dead loved ones. When Melanie discovers this, she thinks it would be ‘fun’ to have him ‘do’ her. You soon learn that Melanie was thinking George’s ‘reading’ would be a hoax; “You will meet the man of your dreams in cooking class...”
But the storyline that slowly becomes the most effective belongs to the English twins. It is downright heartbreaking to watch what Marcus goes through.
Despite a very hokey intertwining at the end, I still felt ‘over-all entertained’ by ‘Hereafter’ for some rather odd reasons – It didn’t follow the path I expected (which has been a staple of Eastwood’s better films) and at first I was disappointed, but soon realized that by not following the formula, Clint has created something unique. Even though he does take the route to hokum-ville to wrap the three tales together, But by the time he does that, I was thinking, “Well, I never expected Eastwood to do something as corny as that!”
So once again, he threw an unexpected twist at me by playing the time worn intersecting trilogy ploy...
In a very weak year, I have 'Hereafter' in my Top 5, but I don't expect it to stay there.

4 comments:

movie luva said...

I just saw it Wednesday night. I thought it was very moving. I congratulate Clint for taking on subject matter that is very foreign to him. He was on Jimmy Kimmell and admitted at his age there isn't many topics he hasn't addressed. He just said that he's trying to keep the subject matter fresh and this story was just that.
Now he says he going to tackle to story of J. Edgar Hoover with DiCaprio as the former head of the FBI. I just hope Clint doesn't skirt, the skirt part of the story.
That guy was a freak with a capitol F.

blue stater said...

I really liked the movie. After leaving the theater, I felt like if you didn't tell me that was a Clint Eastwood film, I would have ever guessed it.
Is he going soft at his old age ? Proof of a fine fine filmmaker when they don't just retread what had worked for them in the past.

Terry R said...

Insightful comments;From the opening tsunami scene I thought,"This can't be a Clint Eastwood film!"
So subject matter, & not going with what worked in the past never entered my mind, but you're both correct (Although, 'Gran Torino' was a little bit like 'Dirty Grampa Harry', it was much more intelligent than those over-rated Dirty Harry films)
I like the idea of Clint tackling Hoover (& I'm sure he'll include the cross-dressing issue) but with DiCaprio in the lead? That doesn't twirl my beanie in the least - though I feel that Leonardo has improved lately, playing real-life characters isn't a strong suit for him (I thought he was awful in 'The Aviator') I'm wondering if the film will come up with a speculative ending as to how he met his demise, or just leave it with a question mark?
Oh, & never capitalize 'freak', it just encourages them...

movie luva said...

I read that Hoover story in Empire Magazine. I have been a subscriber for years.
I guess the script was written by Dustin Lance Black who won the Oscar for his Milk screenplay. He is gay, so that could play a factor in if he addresses Hoover's sexuality or not. Hoover was also prominent in the blacklisting of certain filmmakers in Hollywood. Ruining people's careers when behind closed doors he was a freak himself. A bigot, sexist and hypocrite.