Monday, August 30, 2010

PRINCE OF PERSIA (Sands Of Time)

“PRINCE OF PERSIA” (Jake Gyllenhaal, Ben Kingsley & Gemma Arterton))

When I found out this was a ‘video game’, I pushed it back into the bargain basement bin. When I sat down in the $3 theatre to watch it I said, “I’ve never seen a bad Jake Gyllenhaal movie – I have a feeling this will be the first.”
So, going with those expectations, I came out of ‘Prince Of Persia’ thinking it was ‘pretty good’. I liked the characters, especially Jake’s Dastan, the story, including the magical dagger & the fact that for an action/adventure flick there weren’t any unrealistic weapons of mass destruction that wouldn’t have been available in the period the film was set in just to appease the type of moviegoer who feels cheated if they don’t see a lot stuff get blowed up. The only questionable weapon was a ‘gatling-ish' dagger dispenser, which was shooting knives, so I accepted it even though I don’t believe such a weapon could exist at that time.
The film opens with the King of Persia adopting a street orphan who outwits his soldiers. The boy turns into Jake’s Dastan, the third & only adopted son of the king. Dastan is the carefree reckless son, probably because he considers himself lucky enough to be rescued from the streets & he has no desire to ever become ‘King’. His brothers, Tus & Garsiv, consider Dastan to be a brother, but an immature goof off for the most part.
While the King is away, eldest son Tus is in charge of running the kingdom – His uncle Nizam (Ben Kingsley in that annoying eye-liner making him appear to be the gay uncle the boys were warned to avoid) convinces Tus to invade the city of Alamut because he has discovered they were forging double-bladed daggers & selling them to Persia’s enemies.
Because of his reckless ways & inability to follow orders, Dastan ends up being the hero of the battle which ends with an unusual dagger being in his possession. The Princess of Alamut, Tamina (Gemma Arterton) sees that Dastan has the powerful dagger containing the ‘Sands Of Time’ & thus agrees to become Tus’s 4th(or 5th) wife & sticks close to Dastan as he accompanies her back to the palace.
& thus the adventure begins... Dastan becomes a fugitive when a gift he gives to his father (via Tus) turns deadly & he goes on the run to prove his innocence (with the Princess by his side wanting her dagger back before the screwball discovers its power)
Alfred Molina as Amar, an entrepreneur specializing in ostrich races among other endeavors provides some comic relief & the chemistry between the adopted Prince & real Princess comes about at such a slow pace, it works.
I liked this film. There was nothing about it that seemed ‘comic-booky’ or ‘video gamey’ – it came across as an actual action/adventure film without all the explosions & car chases that usually dominate the genre – there were a few too many ‘on foot’ chases, but at least they stuck to the era – I appreciated that. I’d call it a poor man’s “Romancing The Stone”. Now, if they make a sequel, let’s hope it turns out better than “Jewel Of The Nile”. . .

6 comments:

dbm said...

This has to be the biggest surprise that you liked this probably of all time since we have been talking movies. You are a hard one to figure out when it comes to movies. Terry Redi gave Prince Of Persia thumbs up.

I thought it was terrible. Gyllenaal's worst movie. It's not that everybody was bad per se, it's just that the written material is weak and I thought the CGI was maybe the most fake I have seen in a long time. I found it so fake it was distacting. The thing that makes it worth sitting through, the lovely Gemma Arterton. She's classically beautiful, and she looks great in Tamara Drewe coming soon.
I don't mind a good action flick from time to time, but I just didn't buy Jake in the role and Molina and Kingsley either and the clumsy screenplay and dialogue just wasn't working. Molina was much more effective in Spider-Man 2 as Doctor Octogan and Kingley in Shutter Island.
Oh well, it's not the first flick we disagree on nor it the last most likely.

Terry R said...

Wait a minute, didn't you just call guys who go to movies with pretty girls in it suckers?
& we disagree on that as well, Gemma, while not bad looking by any means, wasn't all that gorgeous to me - I thought she was a little on the plain side, & I'm not a fan of the thick lumpy lips.
Kingsley didn't impress me in this either, but Molina was better in Spider Man 2? One of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life - to even know his character was called 'Dr. Octogan' is embarrassing.
As far as the fake CGI, we established long ago that you are more into visuals than I am, so I guess that's why it didn't bother me - didn't even notice if it was hokey or not - I liked the story.
Plus, expectations have to be considered - it just simply wasn't as bad as I feared it would be...

movie luva said...

I gave this a shot as I like all the priciple actors, but in the end, I just didn't buy Jake as an action hero/bad ass. Sure, he buffed up for the role, but he had to to be able to " look " the part. He has a more ethereal thing going for him. At least to me.

He's much more effective in personally told stories. Like the one he will have coming out this winter called Love and Other Drugs, where I read somewhere online that it's Anne Hathaway and Jake's career best. It must be true if I read it online right ? Sarcasm aside, I did read it from a grip that worked on the set, so...

Terry R said...

I bought Jake as Dastan because he WASN'T a bad ass - he was kind of a goof-off - the rogue adopted son that didn't fit in with the real royalty... Anyway, maybe I liked it because I'd never heard of the video game so that aspect of it was closed to me.
I also need to make a correction (As my wife reminded me) Jake did make one bad film - the Oscar nominated one. The one that was gratefully usurped by the excellent 'Crash'. I cannot mention its title otherwise the tent scene will enter my mind & I won't be able to sleep tonight...

movie luva said...

I thought Heath Ledger was excellent in that film. He played conflicted so convincingly. It was in his eyes. It was as if deep down he didn't want to be what he really was. You see that struggle to the very end when he's alone in that trailer. Thought that was great work. Beleivable.

Lilithas said...

I agree with Terry. I'd actually watch Prince of Persia again because it kept me entertained the first time and I liked the characters - especially Gyllenhaal as Dastan.

I don't think it has anything to do with expectations or whether or not you're familiar with the video game. I went with high expectations because I was a fan of the game (my brother's influence). I wasn't disappointed.