Monday, March 15, 2010

ALICE IN WONDERLAND

“ALICE IN WONDERLAND” (Mia Wasikowska, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter & Anne Hathaway)

I wasn’t planning on seeing this movie; I had little interest in yet another remake of a story that I never cared for in the first place. But we were in an area with only one theatre, the weather was lousy & the other choice was ‘Cop Out’. . . Enough said.
The only reason I decided to check out Tim Burton’s latest ‘fantasy’ flick was due to Grace Slick’s “White Rabbit” – I literally rolled the lyrics thru my mind as each character from the song was shown onscreen... There’s the hookah smoking caterpillar... There’s the dormouse – Wonder if she’s going to say “Feed your head”?... Okay, how did they get Helena Bonham Carter’s head to fit on that tiny body while interacting with ‘normal’ sized actors, that’s pretty impressive & woo-hoo, she said it, “Off with her head!”
So visually, it was fun to watch, but if it wasn’t for the song, I wouldn’t have thought much of the plot or the acting; Carter was clearly the ‘queen’ of the cast.
I’m sorry if this comes across as sexist, but Mia Wasikowska was a poor choice to play Alice because of her rather plain looks – she seemed much too ‘boyish’ to me. Even though I understood that this was Alice’s second trip to ‘Underland’, she seemed bored with everything that took place.
Sorry, Johnny Depp fans, but other than his large, hue changing eyes, Depp brought very little to the table from an acting standpoint. His Mad Hatter came across as a gay cartoon character as he hammed it up like a bad actor with a lisp.
Anne Hathaway’s White Queen was so badly over-acted, it was embarrassing to watch.
Carter, however, appeared to be having a ball playing the evil Red Queen – she is the lone savior among the ‘human’ cast members.
What made the film worth watching though were the creatures; the rabbits, dogs & cats, etc. It clearly would have been a better film if everyone except the Red Queen were created totally via computer graphics.
At times exceedingly childish and confusing (Let’s be honest, this world was created by someone who had taken more acid trips than all 4 Beatles combined) the ‘Alice In Wonderland’ saga has always been a little too far out in left field for me... Maybe it’s a ‘guy’ thing – I wouldn’t buy a boy taking on a giant dragon armed only with a shield & sword, why would I believe a girl could do it? So you already know the story & you know what happens – is there any real reason to sit thru another re-telling of this weird fairy tale? Only if, like me, you get a kick out of talking rabbits & dogs – otherwise, you’re only going to be cringing at the awful acting by 90% of the cast.

6 comments:

movie luva said...

I didn't think it was that bad. I'm a Tim Burton fan. One of those kind of movies that are harmlessly entertaining and fun to look at.

By the way, speaking of Burton, what did you think of his Planet Of The Apes and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory versions ?

Terry Reid said...

Like most Tim Burton films, I avoided them like the plague.
Wasn't Mark Wahlberg the star of
the Apes remake? & I'm in my 50's,
I found the original Charlie & TCF
to be quite dumb since I was way past the toddler stage when it came out...

dbm said...

I felt in the end, it's a movie that I good take it or leave it. Didn't exactly hate it, but if I had missed it, now I know I wouldn't have cared. I will admit that it's Oscar worthy on the visual effetcs side of things.
And Terry, did you not like Beatlejuice, Ed Wood or Mars Attacks ? You know Mars wasn't supposed to be taken literally right ? It was a satire of all other alien movies. I thought Jack was hilarious in that and the way he made the martians to not be nice and friendly was a good touch too.

Sam said...

What I am surprised at is that AIW has made 265.8 million already. I new it would do OK, but had no idea it would gross that much.

And Avatar is still in the top 10. After how long ? That's crazy numbers. Would like to be a fly on the wall and check out Jmaes Cameron's ATM account.

Terry R said...

I did say I avoid 'most' T.Burton films. Dbm, you named the 2 exceptions - I did like Beetlejuice & Ed Wood. We'll ALL forget that you thought Mars Attacks was good; just because something is satirical doesn't mean it isn't childish & dumb.
& to answer Sam - 1)Humans are sheep (I'll chant that mantra until they change their pattern)
& 2) I'd rather be a mole left alone with Cameron's bank account so I could burrow out with the loot!

Lilithas said...

Like movie luva, I didn't think it was that bad. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be, but I didn't completely hate it either.

I agree with the casting decisions - Bonham Carter was the best played character in the movie.
I think the biggest problem with Wasikowska wasn't her appearance, but more what you said: she seemed bored throughout the entire movie. Her facial expression didn't change at all.