Tuesday, May 19, 2009

ANGELS & DEMONS

“ANGELS & DEMONS” (Tom Hanks, Ewan McGregor, Ayelet Zurer, Armin Mueller-Stahl & Stellan Skarsgard)

Count me among the many that didn’t care for the first installment of this series, “The Da Vinci Code”. I liked Ian McKellen in it, but for the most part I found it to be a whole lot about nothin’. “Angels & Demons” has a better plot – there’s a real life & death situation at hand & a race against time to save hundreds of lives. True, we are talking about Catholic lives, but they still matter. That’s a joke, Catholics, lighten up for a change.
So I liked the premise – The pope has recently died & as the Cardinals gather to elect a new pontiff, 4 of the betting favorites are kidnapped by an organization calling itself the Illuminati; supposedly a group of scientist that tried to work with the church to come up with a plausible reason for creation while still keeping God in the picture. But the church refused to accept the Illuminati’s findings & drove them out of Vatican City in the 18th Century.
The voice of the Illuminati tells the world that one Cardinal will be assassinated every hour on the hour at 8, 9, 10 & 11 PM; then at midnight, a stolen canister of anti-matter will explode somewhere in the city causing mass destruction of biblical portions.
Since there are no Illuminati experts in the Vatican, nor in Italy – the police call on American symbologist, Robert Langdon (Hanks)
This is where the storyline gets tiresome, I enjoyed the racing against time to save the Cardinals idea, but it is how Langdon determines where the assassinations are going to take place that became irritating – There wasn’t anything clever about it – Hanks would strike a ‘deep into thought’ pose for a few seconds & then spout out some obscure location & off they’d go. I actually had to laugh out loud when at one point, Langdon points to 2 particular angel statues & says, “The angels are pointing the way!”
Ewan McGregor plays the right hand man of the deceased pope & thus is ‘semi-‘ in charge of the Vatican until a new pope is picked. The way this character ‘evolves’ thru the film doesn’t make a lot of sense unless you throw logic out the window; which, in a film regarding religion isn’t difficult to do, so why am I complaining?
Ayelet Zurer plays the female scientist that helped to create the canister of anti-matter & then allowed the Illuminati to walk out of their super-secret laboratory with the extremely dangerous ‘creation’.
Armin Mueller-Stahl does his usual fine job as a stodgy old Cardinal that finds it difficult to maintain his forgiving grin while being ‘told’ what he should be doing by McGregor’s ‘camerlengo’. By the way, I finally figured out why they call them ‘cardinals’ – they all dress in bright red plumage with matching beanies, so they do indeed look like a group of St. Louis baseball fans.
As head of the Swiss Guard (the protectors of the pope) Stellan Skarsgard acts as though he doesn’t WANT to help Langdon stop the kidnapped Cardinals from being murdered – making it over-obvious that he is indeed the mastermind behind the Illuminati. I don’t feel as though I’m revealing a spoiler with that because it becomes very apparent from the moment the character is introduced & denies Langdon access to the information he needs to decipher the location of the first assassination. Which I had a problem with as well; the clues are embedded in the brick flooring & the streets are swarming with tourists & anxious Catholics, yet Langdon is still able to find the exact clues he needs to lead them to the site.
Now, I don’t mean to pick on Catholics, even though I have, I just don’t ‘mean’ to – but at one point the ‘swarm’ is warned to evacuate the city due to a bomb threat (The anti-matter is the true culprit) A short time later a news reporter is announcing how even more people have entered the square since that warning was given... Seems as if those darn Catholics just don’t believe anything anyone tells them unless they're dressed like a big bird...
In the beginning, I liked the way this film was heading, by the time it gets to the finale, I was shaking my head in disbelief... which, for me, is nothing new. Hopefully you’ll find the shocking climax more ‘entertaining’ than I.

5 comments:

Kurt said...

Fell short in my opinion. Like you said, they had a good thing going and then it got too hokey for it's own good. And who's that actress ? That's the best Ron Howard and Brian Grazer could come up with ? I too thought that was cheesy when Hanks points at the obvious. It's $ is going to drop this weekend.

If I'm Ron Hoawrd and Tom Hanks I'd put that franchise to rest. The two are much more talented than that.

So Terry tell me you will be seeing Terminator: Salvation. It has a good cast. Supposed to be gritty. And I'm kind of curious to see if I could pick out the scene it was where Christian goes off on the cinematographer. Have you heard that rant. Some of it is hilario.

Have some good movies coming up in the upcoming weeks.

movie luva said...

I didn't hate it and I didn't like it either. Sort of blasse. I agree with Kurt, that Hoawrd and Hanks should wash their hands with the franchise. I can't believe it beat Star Trek and made 43 million. I think all the hoopla with the zealots splashed around a lot of word of mouth about the film. I think a lot of christian people went that aren't real true fans of the franchise and just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

June actually has a few films that I am looking for. I think so far, this year has been better than last.

Terry R said...

Mmm, I can't agree that this year is 'better' than last - We have 'Star Trek' as 'Iron Man' for surprisingly good action film & "Sunshine Cleaning" taking the role "The Visitor" had as 'very impressive for being released so early in the year'. But we're coming up on June & I still have "Watchmen" in my Top 10 & I didn't like that film very much!
Hanks was on The Daily Show telling Jon Stewart the franchise was still alive because Brown had begun writing a 3rd Robert Langdon 'thriller', & I heard Howard say the same thing. It better have a 'hell' of a good plot to get me to show any interest!
With 'Terminator: Salvation' -
I have never seen a minute of any
Terminator movies. But Christian Bale's involvement puts this one at least on my radar screen. I've been told the 'history' of Terminators by a co-worker, so I'll probably see 'Salvation' when it comes to the cheapie theatre in a couple of months.
I like Kurt's comment on Hanks & Howard being too talented to rely on this franchise - I'd rather see a 'Splash 2' than a 'Da Vinci Code 3'. So what's coming up that I should be excited about seeing?

Alan Smithee said...

Your favorite brother-in-law and his ladyfriend saw this movie in Germany but in English. Both enjoyed it more than "The Da Vinci Code."

It is laugh-out-loud hokey. As you say, when the two angels point the way, one wonders why the mastermind tormenting the professor doesn't just hang up signs in English: "Anti-matter Ahead" or "Apocalypse Now."

Still, it was fun to watch my fellow Catholics misbehave. The movie beats watching nuns and priests misbehave with rulers and pointers.

Germans tend to favor kettle korn for movies. I passed on that because I was not sure I wanted to pass it and because I figured a sugar high might lead me to shout at the screen, "You're a Harvard Professor but must have a bio-physicist translate Latin that I can read?" or some such.

In keeping with national stereotypes, we were assigned seats in a theater that had hundreds of open seats and two other patrons. Now that is ORDER!

Porter notes that one might read the books for greater entertainment. But we don't need no stinking books!

Terry R said...

Mr. Hanks & Mr. Howard will be so pleased that you traveled abroad just to increase their overseas box office on this turkey. Really? There's nothing better to do in Germany these days than to see a second rate American film? Perhaps you should have had the kettle korn first & then thought of something better to do with your vacation? & you two are learned professionals, watch the film in the language it was meant to be viewed in... German! (Definitely wouldn't have hurt your viewing pleasure)
Another little addition Ron could have made was to put a skull & crossbones on the canister of Anti-Matter; I mean, if the angels were pointing the way, then the demons could help by making it obvious that Anti-Matter is dangerous stuff, right?
If you must see another American film whilst in Europe, make it 'The Hangover' - I'll guarentee it will be funny in any language.