Monday, September 1, 2008

VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA

“VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA” (Scarlett Johansson, Javier Bardem, Rebecca Hall, Penelope Cruz & Patricia Clarkson)
I scribbled several nearly indecipherable notes in the dark while watching this film... None of them were positive. However, the one positive thing I have to say about this movie didn’t require a reminder – Javier Bardem is a damn good actor. I don’t see the ‘heart-throb’ good looks that others claim he possesses (& my only complaint is that he looks so stoned in a few scenes he can barely keep his eyes open) but the man becomes his character with what appears to be relative ‘ease’. As artist Juan Antonio, he elevates himself above his fellow actors; in one scene involving Scarlett Johansson’s Cristina & his hot-headed ex-wife, Maria Elena he gets so frustrated while trying to tell Maria to speak in English, he starts rambling in Spanish while doing so. Then he screws up a line, as most distraught people would do, following the argument – whether that was done on purpose or writer/director Woody Allen was just smart enough to leave it in – it’s little things like that which help to make a character believable. Penelope Cruz plays Maria Elena & goes a little over-the-top with her semi-deranged character, but she's improving as an actress, there's no doubt about that.
Okay, that’s the only nice thing I have to say about ‘VCB’.
First the plot, then I’ll decipher my scribbles / Plain looking Vicky (Rebecca Hall) & gorgeous Cristina are best friends. Vicky is about to be married & Cristina can’t seem to hold a job or a boyfriend. Not meaning to sound like Homer Simpson describing his screenplay idea – but the gals decide to spend the summer in Spain ‘for some reason’... Sorry, I forgot! By the end of the film I was so bored with these people, I was just happy to see the screen go dark. They are approached by Juan Antonio, a man they know of but have never met; he invites them to spend the weekend with him. Along with seeing the sights, Juan also offers to share his bed for the purpose of making love. Vicky rebukes the offer, while horny Cristina agrees to go. Vicky then decides to tag along since she seems to be the only one concerned with Cristina’s safety.
Eventually Cristina moves in with Juan. When Juan’s ex-wife with the flame-thrower temper shows up threatening to commit suicide, Juan invites her to stay with them. Apparently they don’t have ‘men in white coats’ to come & take such disturbed people away in Barcelona. In the end everybody has had sex with everyone & they live miserably ever after...
The MOST annoying ingredient is the ‘Narrator’ (The pathetically weak voice of Christopher Evan Welch) Though not sounding totally gay, this was far from the ‘manly’ voice one expects from a narrator – nor was it the voice of one of the characters, so you have no way to relate to this wimp. This was just an average speaking voice spouting off insipid lines like, “It was a sunny day in Barcelona when Juan & Vicky met for lunch.”
Most of his unwelcomed 'storytelling' involved lines even more mundane than the one above.
Words did not flow easily from this man’s lips either, he seemed to struggle to make sure he annunciated properly – I mean, if you’re going to use an off screen narrator, for goodness sake hire Morgan Freeman!
There was a scene where Vicky received a phone call from her fiancé (from the U.S.) in which she speaks to him for :15 and hangs up... How is that believable? They haven’t seen one another for days & she says 2 lines to him & hangs up?
To find an actor to play the fiancé, Woody must have placed an order for a ‘dull, cookie cutter geeky nerd’ & they sent this guy over from Central Casting! (I could look up his name, but why bother?)
Your lead characters are a shallow, self-centered male and two shallow, self-centered, gullible females. And like ‘Elegy’ the moral of the story is – EVERYBODY cheats on their spouses, fiancés & loved ones. I’m sure those that enjoyed ‘Elegy’ will think this tripe is entertaining as well, but I’m sorry, I need someone to root for in a film – when every single character is a low-life piece of dung, I lose interest – I DON’T CARE what happens to them! The main concern here is - should Vicky tell Juan she’s in love with him even though he’s boinking her best friend & ex-wife simultaneously?
Once again, Patricia Clarkson has a minor role and does a nice job with it, but her character (once again) becomes semi-ridiculous as a woman cheating on her ‘good guy’ husband & feels remorseful for doing so, but then encourages Vicky to make a play for Juan Antonio... Dumb, dumb, dumb.
At one point in the film, after the fiancé shows up in Barcelona to be with Vicky, he tells her Juan & his friends are ‘Pretentious, boring and cliché’ . . . I couldn’t find three better words to describe your film, Woody – thanks for helping me write this review!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is Alan Smithee ? I would love to hear his opinion on this movie. I don't know the man, but I always enjoy reading his pseudo-intellecutal analogies. I would think he would be a Woody Allen fan. Intellectual's usually love Woody Allen.
It's been a lame year so far for film, and I have Vicky Cristina Barcelona on several of my Oscar categories on my blog, but that is only because it's still relatively early. I did think Rebecca Hall was good in her role. Sort of a break out performance for her. And I would not be surprised at all if Penelope Cruz got an Oscar nomination for Supporting Actress in her role.

Anonymous said...

i thought it was a lame movie too terry. save for bardem and hall. and what is woody's thing with making movies in europe the last several years. he needs to go back to his manhatten, annie hall type material.
miss ya at kjr terry. the g&g portion misses your input bigtime. now i'm going to go back into your previous movie reviews, and if you slammed there will be blood, no country for old men or 3:10 to yuma i'll think you have lost your marbles sir.

Anonymous said...

I cannot stand most Woody Allen movies.

Anonymous said...

You know, Kurt, just because Alan Smithee uses big words & is quick to slam me by stating the obvious, it doesn't mean he's 'snooty'. He's not a New Yorker, so there's no reason for him to like Woody Allen movies. (& besides IF he's 'psuedo' intellectual, then he isn't one of the 'snobby' intellectuals that enjoy Woody's films... Right?
I had no problem with Penelope Cruz in either 'Elegy' or 'VCB',
but Oscar nominations? I certainly hope there are enough praiseworthy perfromances coming up that fit into the Academy Award Winning mold - otherwise this has been a very bleak year for actresses...
To Eddie-'3:10 To Yuma' was my favorite movie of '07 (& I am NOT a fan of Westerns) 'No Country For Old Men' was in my Top 5 & Javier Bardem deserved his Oscar. The only one you might have a problem with is "There Will Be Blood" as I'm not as enamoured with it as most - but that's due mainly to what I thought was an awful performance/the misguided mis-casting of Paul Dano.
To A.Smithee; Just out of curiousity - Do you have a favorite Woody Allen film (Since you said you cannot stand 'most' of them? I'll tell you what my favorite Woody Allen movie is - the one Woody Allen was hardly in -"What's Up, Tiger Lily?" A very funny idea that he somehow pulled off.

Anonymous said...

Ter,


SLEEPER. I like even madcap satires.

Allen writes funny lines. When most funny and funniest lines do not concern Allen's neuroses, I am more amused. The more that Allen is deprecating his psychological failings, the more I long to pound him.

Kurt can characterize my analogies as pseudo-intellecutal all he wants. If he calls me or them pseudo-intellectual, however, I may object.

Anonymous said...

i don't think he was meaning to slam you, in fact i think he was complimenting you mr. smithee.

Anonymous said...

oh...i forgot to mention my favorite woodt allen movies.

sleeper, annie hall, play it again sam, crimes and misdemeanors, husbamds and wives, mighty aphrodite and sweet and lowdown with sean penn as a django reinhardt type guitar player.

Anonymous said...

Eddie, being a new & very welcomed member to this small circle of pseudo-'intellecutal' critics, you're probably not aware of the friendly rivalry we have developed. Most recently, Mr. Smithee took me to task for writing that comedies such as 'Tropic Thunder' don't garner Oscar nominations ('Except when they do' - as Alan S. pointed out several instances) Taking a page from the GWB stratagem I simply declared 'victory' over Mr. Smithee and walked away while the fighting continued. So yes, Kurt was taking a shot at Alan & unfortunately for Kurt he mistyped 'intellectual' - I hope KB gets as big a chuckle as I got when he discovers the mistake. Of all the words to screw up, that was a classic comedic moment to me.
Back to the movies - I never realized 'Sweet & Lowdown' was a Woody Allen film. Figures since it isn't one of my Top 10 Sean Penn movies...